essential oils for powdered calcium???

babyfelix

I have quite a few family members the are into the "do Terra" craze and the are suggesting that I put certain oils on mealworms or leafy greens instead of calcium and vitamin supplements, which are powder, and those powders have caused respiratory problems in the past. If there are certain oils that would be a better substitute, please respond with some ideas. Thank you for your time!!:):):)

For whom does the powder cause respiratory issues? If it is the chameleon you might be using too much powder. I dusted my feeders away from the cages and just used enough to lighten the color slightly not to the point they are white.

Would wait for more qualified users before acting. [ie: Sandra, Ferret, Motherlode, Chris Anderson, Olimpia, Carol, Kinyongia, Jannb, Kent67, nightanole, Jason G (baffle), Steve McNary, Trace, etc...] Even then, opinions will probably differ somewhat. (no offense to anyone I forgot, I'm in a rush today. Saw this as logging off.)

I would love to know the answer for sure, my family is SO into DoTerra. My sister is a consultant and uses it for EVERYTHING! It's amazing to see the difference in people using the oils.

Have the calcium content of the oils been evaluated? If they are equivalent or similar to the powders then it could be a potential option. But we're not giving calcium powder just overall well being and health of body and soul - it's basically a medical supplementation to meet a health requirement. Without adequate amounts of calcium there are serious detriments to the skeletal system especially but also muscular, digestive, nervous and other systems. Metabolic bone disease is the result of insufficient calcium (and/or UVB) so substituting calcium for oils that do not contain adequate amounts of this mineral is not appropriate. Since people do not have the same ongoing need for calcium like reptiles do I doubt these oils are formulated for our use in this way. Looking at the product descriptions I know there is not enough calcium to be sufficient since they're based on single or sometimes combo herbs.

While people may be more prone to respiratory issues that is not something we see in chameleons or other reptiles, and I would image the differences in anatomy is one of the reasons. Mammals have alveolar lungs, which are like little grape clusters (millions of them) all inside the lungs where air exchange happens. So particulate matter can get more easily trapped in these small clusters. Reptiles like chameleons have lungs like big empty sacs without these alveolar clusters. So particulate matter isn't going to have the same effect on them.

Stick with the calcium powders. :)

There are virtually no minerals in oils, and the majority of these oils will kill the mealworm. Calcium added to certain oils might work, but messy. I don't see any up side to even trying it. Certain oils might be helpful for topical application for burns or other specific injuries though.

Back
Top Bottom