exo terra habitat kit(medium)

I have used the exo terra's but not the rainforest model. I love exo terra terrarium's, they are well made and sturdy. I have kept several chams in them.

I have kept two healthy female Veileds in one of those, but without the rainforest kit. You won't need the bark for the bottom - it poses an impaction risk if the cham should eat any! My first female spent her whole life in one of those (45 x 45 x 60) and Amy spent 2.5 years in one. I moved her into Tommy's old wooden viv when he passed away.

i use the exo terra 18x 18x 30 for my lil ones starter homes i really like them.
makes keeping humidity sooo easy

Hmmm I'm not sure if that's the best thing for a chameleon though, it doesn't look very ventilated, I think this one (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/screen_terrarium.php) would be better

I cant recomend /\those/\ at all really. They are shoddily built, and designed. The terrariums have enough ventilation, and as stated many have used them with no issues. You may have to keep a closer eye on heat/humidity buildup depending on where you live, but they are fine.
The large ones are just wicked ex$$pen$$ive.

I cant recomend /\those/\ at all really. They are shoddily built, and designed. The terrariums have enough ventilation, and as stated many have used them with no issues. You may have to keep a closer eye on heat/humidity buildup depending on where you live, but they are fine.
The large ones are just wicked ex$$pen$$ive.

I have a pretty big one (second away from the largest) X-Tall terrarium for my male panther chameleon. I live in Canada in a basement apartment with my girlfriend. The temps at night from to about 70°F-75°F and its -12°C outside right now. When the lights come on, I spray the tank and turn the fogger on to build up humidity and he drinks, I do the same thing with my female panther chameleon (about 5 months old now) in her smaller exo-terra terrarium.

My bearded dragon male (leatherback) is also in an exo-terra terrarium (not sure of the dimensions, but its pretty big) and its on the matching stand.

My bearded dragon breeding pair are in another terrarium that is not exo-terra but its huge (5 feet long and 3 feet tall).

So far, I love the exo-terra terrariums, they keep the temps and everything at the perfect temperature and humidity.

I plan on getting a matching exo-terra terrarium that my male panther uses mid next year if I can successfully get my 2 panthers to mate and breed properly.

The key is to get everything setup about a week or 2 before getting whatever reptile you are getting and make sure all temperatures and humidity stay stable that way you dont have any odd issues afterwards.

Hmmm I'm not sure if that's the best thing for a chameleon though, it doesn't look very ventilated, I think this one (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/screen_terrarium.php) would be better

i have never used the one you show, but the glass units do have adiquate ventalation as it uses a venting system that pulls warm air throught the vents below the doors and out the top.
in climates like canada the can be a huge advantage.

i have never used the one you show, but the glass units do have adiquate ventalation as it uses a venting system that pulls warm air throught the vents below the doors and out the top.
in climates like canada the can be a huge advantage.

I should check those out.

Have you had any issues with stress? I've seen a lot of chams get stressed from looking at their own reflection.

Glass doest create a reflection, provided there is no dark surface on the other side of it. Packing it full of foliage would cut the risk down to almost 0% I would think.;)

Do NOT get the screen cages Fabrizio recommended, they are the worst .

I use the Exo-Terra glass vivs for my babies until they are about 2-3 months old, then it is into screen cages (of which I have several including DIY ones which is the best way to go).

If you are buying, the Zoo Med screen cages are 10000x better than the Exos.

A word of warning: babies fall. What I do is place some fake plants (the Exo Terra ferns are great for this), on the ground for them to fall onto instead of the hard glass.

I have actually had two babies die over the years from falls, mostly from bruising of the face = swelling = suffocation. So a 'safety net' is a must for any baby chams kept in anything over 12" high.

Also beware of heat lights. The temp will be different in glass than in screen. I only use a UVB (linear) light for the first few weeks and that keeps it in the high 70s and low 80s. Once they are eating, drinking, active, and seem to want to bask more (hanging out closer to the UV more often), I put a 25 or 40watt light on them and make sure to check the temps regularly...

I also have never had an issue with reflections.

I have and still use them for chams. From the 12x12x24 to the 18x24x36, I like them alot. They hold humidity easily, hold temps nicely (be careful they can heat up FAST!). One I have, the door does not shut right. So I would not say they are extremely well built, but they work great. For any terrariums I now get them from MartyMade. They're not designed as "nicely", but they are extremely well built and they will even do partial screen for you. If your house stays really dry throughout the year like mine does, a terrarium is a good choice. Price of them is the only real downfall IMO.

Do NOT get the screen cages Fabrizio recommended, they are the worst .

I use the Exo-Terra glass vivs for my babies until they are about 2-3 months old, then it is into screen cages (of which I have several including DIY ones which is the best way to go).

If you are buying, the Zoo Med screen cages are 10000x better than the Exos.

A word of warning: babies fall. What I do is place some fake plants (the Exo Terra ferns are great for this), on the ground for them to fall onto instead of the hard glass.

I have actually had two babies die over the years from falls, mostly from bruising of the face = swelling = suffocation. So a 'safety net' is a must for any baby chams kept in anything over 12" high.

Also beware of heat lights. The temp will be different in glass than in screen. I only use a UVB (linear) light for the first few weeks and that keeps it in the high 70s and low 80s. Once they are eating, drinking, active, and seem to want to bask more (hanging out closer to the UV more often), I put a 25 or 40watt light on them and make sure to check the temps regularly...

I also have never had an issue with reflections.

Would a screen cage from the guys over at DIY work for a baby/juvi?

Back
Top Bottom