Eyes closed while basking?

Mr Wilson

Hi everyone, Happy Valentine's day!!

We noticed when Rosalita is basking under the ceramic bulb that she tends to close her eyes. Is this normal? We know she's not asleep because, let me tell you, when she is sleeping NOTHING could wake her up! She could sleep through the loudest noises and not wake up haha. Plus, if you walk by her and look at her, you can see the actual eye move around, even though it's closed.

Just wondering if it's normal for chams to close their eyes while basking.

Hi everyone, Happy Valentine's day!!

We noticed when Rosalita is basking under the ceramic bulb that she tends to close her eyes. Is this normal? We know she's not asleep because, let me tell you, when she is sleeping NOTHING could wake her up! She could sleep through the loudest noises and not wake up haha. Plus, if you walk by her and look at her, you can see the actual eye move around, even though it's closed.

Just wondering if it's normal for chams to close their eyes while basking.

What's the wattage on the bulb and what is the basking temp? Why not just use a household incandescent bulb?

I would like to say that chameleons cannot hear sounds, which would explain why she won't wake up even if you shouted at her.

Eyes closed during the day is not normal and usually indicates something is wrong.

He said only while basking though. Anyway you should probly fill out an ask for help form so we can see what's up with your husbandry

edit: Just saw your other post. Did you ditch the heat pad? I would ditch that light as well and get a 65 watt household bulb. Also make sure you have a nice thermometer and hydrometer. Those crappy analog one's are not accurate.

Im only using the heating pad at night (just to get some radiant heat off the substrate) She's acting normal other then closing her eyes every once in a while. Could it be because of the two 5.0 13watt reptiglow bulbs? Should i swap one of them with a normal bulb?

Im only using the heating pad at night (just to get some radiant heat off the substrate) She's acting normal other then closing her eyes every once in a while. Could it be because of the two 5.0 13watt reptiglow bulbs? Should i swap one of them with a normal bulb?

Closing eyes during the day is a sign of illness. Make sure your temps and humidity levels are on point. Are you using supplements?

Why are you using a heating pad? how cold does it get in your house? What is your reason for substrate? It causes impaction and also grows bacteria.

Ditch the reptiglow bulbs and buy an 18" reptisun 5.0 but makes sure its linear and not a coil.

Try moving you bulb (or the perch) to one side and see if she opens the eye shaded from the light. I've noticed my chams do that sometimes while basking. If the sun is too bright they will shut the sun-ward eye while keeping watch with the other.

Temps and humidity are good. 70ish at night and 80ish during the day & constant between 50 and 60% humidity always. It gets pretty cold in my apartment here in Jersey (65ish) the heating pad is used to radiate heat off the ground at night (just like it would in the wild). Its not a desert pad it doesn't get real hot. As for the substrate im using coconut husk with a green eco liner on top so i dont lose my crickets but at the same time help keep the humidity up. I am supplementing with B3 dust on my feeders. I am using the coil bulbs which im realizing was a bad idea. It is actually the reptisun bulbs not the reptiglow (my mistake). dose a linear bulb make that much of a difference?

The lighting could be to bright for her causing her to shute her eyes. I would suggest number 1 getting her off the reptiglow bulbs and on to reptisun and seeing if that helps. I also would number 2 move the branch to one side as suggested and see if that helps and she opens her eyes normally. The best thing to do is make sure everything is in check with your cage as far a humidity and things and also fill out the form ask for help so someone more knowledged can hopefully help you out!

Yes, if the bulbs aren't the new ones they can blind her (possibly permanently if you dont fix it.) The linear tube reptisuns are way better anyways.

Do you mean d3? You should only use a calcium with d3 2-4 times a month, and use a plain calcium without d3 most other feedings. Also use a multivitamin once a month. If you use the D3 too often it will build up in her system (a bad thing.)

So what is the exact benefit of the reptisun 5.0 vs the reptiglo 5.0? Coil VS Linear aside. If i switched to a reptisun 5.0 coil bulb from a reptiglo 5.0 coil bulb(so i dont have to switch my top fixture) would that be better or is it no different? Im learning linear is better in general, and i have no problem switching if i have to. What im trying to figure out is if maybe switching to a different coil bulb or doing maybe a combo w/ a coil & an incandescent would be beneficial? What do you think?

Go with a linear reptisun 5.0 and a regular 60 Watt household bulb for basking. The coil uvb you are using is dangerous.

Go with a linear reptisun 5.0 and a regular 60 Watt household bulb for basking. The coil uvb you are using is dangerous.

Ill probably purchase the exo terra fixture that will fit my terrarium It has a
Dual Fluorescent Fixtures and a halogen GU-10 Fitting. what recommended bulbs should i use. 2 reptisun 5.0 linear? what about the halogen bulb?

Does "basking" not imply a certain enjoyment of the experience? Wouldn't an animal "basking" occasionally close it's eyes because it just feels so good? I know that I close my eyes when I'm basking in the sun....

agreed with all the changes that needs to be made asap. But a chameleon closeing its eyes while basking only, could be because the sun is only a foot away from its face. How long can you stare at a bright light befor you close your eyes? Just the way I see it.:cool:

Ok just a little update. So the dual linear fluorescent light fixture i'm going to buy isn't exactly cheap (w/ all the other bills on the table) so i'm going to wait until payday to order one. In the mean time i took out one of the reptiglo 5.0 13 watt coil fluorescent and replaced it with a 15 watt sunglo incandescent bulb. Basically figuring if she was being blinded by the compact fluorescent she could go toward the side w/ the incandescent bulb.
So she was hanging out underneath the new incandescent bulb but since then has been going back and forth beneath the compact fluorescent and the incandescent. So she seems to be fine for now. I would think this would do for about a week (to get paid, order it, and shipping time). What does everyone think?

i used a coil uvb bulb for my girls and learned later on that the coil bulbs are too harsh....creates too much harsh light which can cause blindness....the linear bulbs spred the amout of light evenly instead of having a spotlight effect...so the light in the cage is less harsh....

a coil bulb to the little cham would be like u staring up into the sun

I buy my linear fixtures from home depot or lowes for about 10-15 bucks. :) way cheaper. Or you can try going to a fish store and see if they have a hood you want for not too much money.

EDIT: if you do get a dual fixture, put a 6500k plant light in it.

Last edited:
You don't need a dual fixture. One flourescent light is plenty; 2 may be too much. A dome with a ceramic socket ($10) and one single flourescent light hood ($10-20) is all you need.

Back
Top Bottom