Fat or ready to lay eggs?

BClizzi

So lizzy is about 7 or 8 months old (estimated from good people on this website) and she has gotten really fat. I put a laying bin at the bottom of her cage for a week now and she has not touched it... maybe she is just fat? Lol cant tell. Help please 1474742641660-1248542534.jpg 1474742501417-1716646884.jpg

I dont know what would cause her to be that fat. Is she okay?
Yes she is okay. She is receptive which means that she could breed. Next she will be gravid when they will not exept a male any more and then after that she will lay eggs

Yes she is okay. She is receptive which means that she could breed. Next she will be gravid when they will not exept a male any more and then after that she will lay eggs

Okay that scared me a little when it said "good luck lizzy" lol thanks for clarifying. I have her in a 5 gallon bucket with about 8" of top soil, a fake plant in the middle, and i started a hole for her. This should work right?

I just went through the egg thing yesterday. Make sure your top soil is organic with no fertilizers or pesticides. I mixed clean play sand with mine and had 10-12 inches. Fiona went through receptive colors for a while.....Labor day she woke up with Gravid colors (lost the pretty blues) and a little darker. Yesterday when I got up she was in her bin and dug most of the day....then backed into her hole. She layed her eggs yesterday so that gives you a time frame.

She looks a little bit chunky to just be showing receptive colors, how much and how often do you feed her?

I really dont feed her alot.

I feed her about 8 crickets a day and maybe 3 superworms
You need to cut down the food to like 8 crickets every other day. She will have TONS of eggs if you feed a lot, mine is full of them and I only give her 5 crickets every other day. Good luck!

You need to cut down the food to like 8 crickets every other day. She will have TONS of eggs if you feed a lot, mine is full of them and I only give her 5 crickets every other day. Good luck!

Okay thank you very much. So how do i know when to put her in the 5 gallon bucket to lay eggs?

Okay thank you very much. So how do i know when to put her in the 5 gallon bucket to lay eggs?
she will be on the bottom of her enclosure, when this happens, move her there and leave her. Don't even peek at her because if she sees you, she could abandon her tunnel and become egg bound. I'm wishing you good luck! :)

Most likely she will quit eating or at least slow down a lot. She also will start cruising around the bottom of her cage instead of up in the branches. You really do need to back off the feelings, no matter whether or not you're planning to breed her, the toll on her producing and laying so many eggs will be tremendous, and shorten her life!

So glad u posted this☺,I'm having similar questions about Lilly. We're guessing she's about 4mths old and we've read they could start laying eggs around 4-6mths so we put a laying bin in the cage did excally same set up u mentioned and she won't take to it but has been caught eating the dirt so we've been a bit worried about her not taking to the dirt and eating it instead! I'm I just do in this too soon or is there another problem!?

VERY fat and showing the gravid colors, she will lay soon most likely. Make sure the lay bin is still nice and moist still. Good luck Lizzy.

My female veiled is roughly 7 / 8 months old, and is looking like Lizzy from BClizzi pictures. When you say "gravid colors", do you mean blue and orange looking spots my Lady Jade is sporting?

She's been making many trips a day to the bottom of her cage, and her laying bin is ready to go. Does that mean she's feeling frisky, or she has eggs to deliver?

Back
Top Bottom