Food Dilemma, won’t eat roaches and silkworms won’t be here until midweek

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys, I have an issue, my silkworms I ordered won’t arrived until after I’ve moved and I won’t get them until later this week. I have two surviving silks from the last batch and that’s all Nachito wants to eat right now, as she’s not interest in roaches (they all died too rip)
I’ve searched stores around my area and none carry silkworms.
I’m not sure if I should just get a few crickets that Nachito may not eat and some hornworms from my local petsmart.
I don’t want her to have a meal of risky crickets and treat hornworms but at this point it’s all I can do.
I’m losing hair and brain cells stressing on what to do for her 😰

Hey guys, I have an issue, my silkworms I ordered won’t arrived until after I’ve moved and I won’t get them until later this week. I have two surviving silks from the last batch and that’s all Nachito wants to eat right now, as she’s not interest in roaches (they all died too rip)
I’ve searched stores around my area and none carry silkworms.
I’m not sure if I should just get a few crickets that Nachito may not eat and some hornworms from my local petsmart.
I don’t want her to have a meal of risky crickets and treat hornworms but at this point it’s all I can do.
I’m losing hair and brain cells stressing on what to do for her 😰
How many days has it been since she has eaten?

Are the silkworms big? I would say continue to gutload the silks real good, don't let them cocoon, if it appears they begin to, and give her 1, wait a day or 2 and give her the other one.

Honestly, I used to sometimes supplement Spikes crickets with petsmart crickets. I didn't LIKE doing it, but sometimes I would do it when I felt the need to. It was totally fine. I just looked at the crickets bin before I asked for them and the bin at my particular petsmart is well kept.

IDK if your petsmart has these options, but my petsmart also has "boxed" crickets, that come from a supplier. That might be worth looking into.

Worse comes to worse, maybe alternate between the 2 silkworms, and 2 hornworms. A few days to a week of like 1 hornworm a day (assuming she's grown) shouldn't hurt anything, especially if she's going right back to her normal diet after this time frame.

Do you not do BSFL? I love always having BSFL. If I run into ANY food issues, I know I can just toss some actual hatched flies into the enclosure and Spike can be good for days. He literally prefers them anyway.

During the summer BSFL hatch very quickly for me, so this might not be an option for you. Spike also loves the Larvae anyway though.

I would say this.... while it might not seem favorable to feed crickets from petsmart..... IMO, at the end of the day it's better for her to eat than not eat for an extended period of time. I think you're more at risk if you ALWAYS use petsmart crickets.

Also, where are you located???? If you are close enough to Millville, NJ I will bring some to you. I have plenty of silks(Frams Chams), BSFL(Joshs Frogs), and crickets (joshs frogs).

How many days has it been since she has eaten?

Are the silkworms big? I would say continue to gutload the silks real good, don't let them cocoon, if it appears they begin to, and give her 1, wait a day or 2 and give her the other one.

Honestly, I used to sometimes supplement Spikes crickets with petsmart crickets. I didn't LIKE doing it, but sometimes I would do it when I felt the need to. It was totally fine. I just looked at the crickets bin before I asked for them and the bin at my particular petsmart is well kept.

IDK if your petsmart has these options, but my petsmart also has "boxed" crickets, that come from a supplier. That might be worth looking into.

Worse comes to worse, maybe alternate between the 2 silkworms, and 2 hornworms. A few days to a week of like 1 hornworm a day (assuming she's grown) shouldn't hurt anything, especially if she's going right back to her normal diet after this time frame.

Do you not do BSFL? I love always having BSFL. If I run into ANY food issues, I know I can just toss some actual hatched flies into the enclosure and Spike can be good for days. He literally prefers them anyway.

During the summer BSFL hatch very quickly for me, so this might not be an option for you. Spike also loves the Larvae anyway though.

I would say this.... while it might not seem favorable to feed crickets from petsmart..... IMO, at the end of the day it's better for her to eat than not eat for an extended period of time. I think you're more at risk if you ALWAYS use petsmart crickets.
Also, where are you located???? If you are close enough to Millville, NJ I will bring some to you. I have plenty of silks(Frams Chams), BSFL(Joshs Frogs), and crickets (joshs frogs).
aaaaa I’m currently in Colorado so unfortunately not close enough but thank you for the offer! Unfortunately most of the silkworms I had left died this morning, with only two medium/large silkies left… I’m heading to the pet store to see the options they have. Her last meal was Friday where she ate only 2 of her silks, but she’s also close to her lay date. I have bsfl but they are mostly cocooned right now. I’ll try feeding some to her but my hopes are low as she usually doesn’t notice them.

aaaaa I’m currently in Colorado so unfortunately not close enough but thank you for the offer! Unfortunately most of the silkworms I had left died this morning, with only two medium/large silkies left… I’m heading to the pet store to see the options they have. Her last meal was Friday where she ate only 2 of her silks, but she’s also close to her lay date. I have bsfl but they are mostly cocooned right now. I’ll try feeding some to her but my hopes are low as she usually doesn’t notice them.

Darn. I figured it was a long shot but you never know so figured I'd ask. IMO, put a bunch of BSFL in her plant pots. My reasoning here is this will have them hatch sooner as they need 70f+ and something like 30-60% humidity to hatch. This works really well for me during the winter.

During the summer... I just leave them in the room with the other bugs and they're hatching in days lol but putting them in the enclosure like that should help them hatch quicker.

I would just buy Petsmart crickets. I am in a similar situation. My order from Dubia will not come until tomorrow. Honestly I am nervous with them using USPS.

Next time I am going to ask if they can upgrade to UPS or FedEx for next time
Ordering.

I had my brother to buy some crickets and super worms yesterday. They were ALL dead from my brother keeping them in the trunk of the car. 😤
I gave Namul two hornworms and the dead crickets yesterday. I had my brother buy 15 crickets. Dead.
It was around 1:40 AM I came home and check using dim lighting. I saw he ate ahold of the cricket bought and one hornworm. Today he eating the rest of the crickets and ignoring the hornworm that still alive…

So she would be totally fine... Last meal on friday you feed her the two silks you have today or tomorrow then you will have your order mid week and feed her then. They do not need consistent food. And females that are on an every 3 day feeding are already used to this. An extra day here or there is not a big deal with an adult chameleon. Heck you could go 5 days and she would still be fine. Might get pissy but that is all. I would avoid petsmart crickets... You do not need to bring in pinworms. If petsmart has the prepackaged hornworms that are the correct size and not huge then pick up a container. They are overpriced at $10 for 4 hornworms but in a pinch they are a good option.

Back
Top Bottom