Getting as angry Cham out of his cage???

Chammers

Well I try to clean my chams cage every 7-10 days and it's come time for it to be cleaned but I cannot get him out. He's 4.5 months old now and has developed some serious attitude recently. I tried to get him out last night but for the first time he tried to bite me and then turned almost solid black so I left him alone since he was probably getting really stressed. So does anyone have ANY suggestions of how to get him out causing minimal stress on the little guy?

Take a long branch/stick with fake leaves on it and some food/treat on it spaced out so that he would have to climb onto the stick to get them, then pull the stick out slowly and place the lil fella where you planned to keep him wile cleaning?

Have had to do similar philosophy with other animals so assume it could be a technique to try. Just tossing something up in the air suggestion wise.

Take a long branch/stick with fake leaves on it and some food/treat on it spaced out so that he would have to climb onto the stick to get them, then pull the stick out slowly and place the lil fella where you planned to keep him wile cleaning?

Have had to do similar philosophy with other animals so assume it could be a technique to try. Just tossing something up in the air suggestion wise.

This is my best method so far with my female she is getting fiesty and I don't want to stress her. I guess this is really the best way to do it and then I put her in the outside plant I have which she likes. I'm just worried about stress while prego and shell be a lot bigger o_O

mine had an eye problem when he was about 3 months old, he'd never really come out of his flex without a bit of an argument, the vet gave him eye drops which he needed 3 times a day for a week. after being handled 3 times a day for that week he seems to have learned to accept that sometimes he's just gotta come out, and normally now it's to explore which he enjoys. so he's just used to it and although he'll give out the odd hiss or make life difficult, he doesnt overly mind it. maybe try doing this with yours? a few times a day just catch him for a few minutes, then put him back? it's got to be a case of teaching them that you wont eat them :)

Using a removable branch is a good idea
Alternatively, wear gloves and move VERY slowly, come from below with one hand (distract with the other hand if needs be). He will likely calm down once he is out.

Another option is simply not to remove him. Weekly spot cleaning / minor cleaning you might be able to work around him (he still wont like it)

Last edited:
Oh

Try luring him out just sit your hand there and make him crawl on you by teasing him with a food he loves.... just a suggestion :)

Well its weird because my girl will eat whens she's halfway on my hand from my hand and comes to the front just to do it but I better not take her out lol. Food safety fooood safetty its funny.

This sounds like a plan!! if you have any silkworms, put one on the stick, try have a firm sticky grip and wond fall off, plus, I never met a cham who didnt like them!!

Well its weird because my girl will eat whens she's halfway on my hand from my hand and comes to the front just to do it but I better not take her out lol. Food safety fooood safetty its funny.

HAHA that sounds just like my girl. I try to entice her to come out of her cage but she will get all fours on my hand and then keep her tail tightly wound around a vine so i cant go anywhere :rolleyes: she caught on to my trick of pullin her out to clean the cage after a couple times

When mine is being a pain, I just use a stick and gently lure him onto it. I do not ever use treats or fake leaves he just grabs on. I have a ficus I put him on for when I am cleaning. He generally chills he just has to throw his fit for a minute.

Well I try to clean my chams cage every 7-10 days and it's come time for it to be cleaned but I cannot get him out. He's 4.5 months old now and has developed some serious attitude recently. I tried to get him out last night but for the first time he tried to bite me and then turned almost solid black so I left him alone since he was probably getting really stressed. So does anyone have ANY suggestions of how to get him out causing minimal stress on the little guy?

Oh, by the way, given how he reacted, I would have done the same. I would have left him alone for a while and came back later. Generally, L.B. hisses but calms down after a bit and then wants to crawl all over me (got into my hair last night...), when he is totally spazing out, I just leave him alone for 30 minutes. No sense in forcing him out if he absolutely wants to fight me.

Good call, IMO.

[Edit]
Oh, I should say. He used to do that just about every time for me in the beginning. I would push him a little more and more and let him get used to me. He still gets really annoyed when I put my hands in his cage but I make a point of handling him every day for at least 10-20 minutes. He rarely seems stressed when I hold him now and other than hissing at me he rarely really seems super stressed. Even when he is hissing he barely changes color now if at all. just gotta work with him a little I think.

Now, gotta follow Ferret's advice and work on the Tortoise...

When mine was little and thought I was going to eat him, I put a silk plant in front of his cage with the door of his cage open so there were some branches going into his cage for him to climb out on. I left the room for a while and came back and he would be on the plant. Maybe this would work for you?

I agree with Ashleigh's approach. My Nosey Be was the same way when young. Afraid of anything moving towards him. He would throw himself on the ground to escape danger if I tried to pick him up. I tried the stick approach but it was only occasionally successful. The open door method with a plant and branches that can be easily climbed on was the trick. Now that he is just over 1yr, he is super friendly and runs to come out of his cage when I open the door. He loves to hang out on his free range.

Wow thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, they all seem like great ideas!

Ashleigh Quote:

When mine was little and thought I was going to eat him, I put a silk plant in front of his cage with the door of his cage open so there were some branches going into his cage for him to climb out on. I left the room for a while and came back and he would be on the plant. Maybe this would work for you?

I think I will try this since I have 2 umbrella plants that I rotate every cleaning.

Thanks for posting the video JannB, I will keep those tips in mind when trying to handle the little guy!

I agree with Ashleigh's approach. My Nosey Be was the same way when young. Afraid of anything moving towards him. He would throw himself on the ground to escape danger if I tried to pick him up. I tried the stick approach but it was only occasionally successful. The open door method with a plant and branches that can be easily climbed on was the trick. Now that he is just over 1yr he runs to come out of his cage when I open the door and loves to hang out on his free range.

Mine is going on eight months now, and actually reached out to me last weekend to come out! Loki also loves coming out for some free range time as well :) I think letting them come out when they want really helps, and being in theire juvinille cage probably makes them feel cornered...I would if I had a giant hand coming at me!! lol

while i agree this will minimize stress for the short term it will prolong the stress.

think of it this way a little stress for a long time or a lot of stress for the short term. organisms no matter how dumb have this innate ability called conditioning. though he may be hardwired (instinctively predisposed) to freak out at the sight of such a huge potential predator there are a few things you can do to ease this reaction.

mine had an eye problem when he was about 3 months old, he'd never really come out of his flex without a bit of an argument, the vet gave him eye drops which he needed 3 times a day for a week. after being handled 3 times a day for that week he seems to have learned to accept that sometimes he's just gotta come out, and normally now it's to explore which he enjoys. so he's just used to it and although he'll give out the odd hiss or make life difficult, he doesnt overly mind it. maybe try doing this with yours? a few times a day just catch him for a few minutes, then put him back? it's got to be a case of teaching them that you wont eat them :)

this is a perfect example. many of the hardcore keepers on here will advocate minimizing handling. and chalk it up entirely to the animals disposition if it becomes difficult. there is such a thing as being too safe.

while i agree these arent pets, theye captives or display animals being trapped in these synthetic environments they have to understand your presence is positive rather than negative. otherwise youll have some chameleons panicking at the sight of you. and with that minor heath issues compound and even being near the cage becomes detrimental to its health.

conditioning early on is integral, in my opinion, to proper husbandry.

i see these posts all the time "im having trouble handling my chameleon" "he turns dark and runs away" "he puffs up and lunges at me"

3 simple rules

move slow! be patient. never jerk away or move erratically.

approach from below, under the chin and below the base of the tail if need be, lift you hands and they will let go of the branch and grasp you. sometimes you may need to pry a foot or tail off GENTLY but this comes with practice

associate being handled with good things, going outside to wander a bush for half an hour, some feeders he normally dosnt get (hornworms are a good choice) a long shower. and most of all no scary animals or people. just peace. food, and water. and a new place to explore.

talk to it softly, this is more for you than it, it gets you in the calm mellow state of mind that is preferential for handling. especially if its being aggressive saying reassuring things like "i wont hurt you buddy, im your friend, i just want to let you outside to play or give you a treat" while they cant hear you much they should be able to sense the soft vibration of your voice. this may be calming/distracting but it works for me.

most of the time youll have em running for the door when they see you. some will be dicks forever but will get over themselves. still difficult to remove yet obviously enjoy the enrichment you provide.

give em a nice bush to hang in, set the hose to mist. sit back and crack open a beer.

Haha I'm not gunna lie when I take my Cham out I go "I'm not gunna hurt ya mate, I'm nooottttt gunna hurt ya." in Steve Irwin's voice :)

Back
Top Bottom