Getting My First Chameleon (Veiled) is This a Good Starter Setup?

ReptiBreeze 16x16x30
Zoo Med Digital thermometer
Zoo Med Vines
Exo Terra plants
ReptiSun 5.0 (Should I do compact linear ReptiSun 5.0 or Linear bulbs? I have both)
No substrate (will use paper towels to avoid him or her getting substrate in their mouth when they go after a cricket)

Any suggestions as to what else to add? I am thinking of doing some live plants. Maybe hibiscus or Croton. This chameleon will be a baby. I bought what was to come in a chameleon set up by itself. Also, should I do a dripper, mister, or simply spray his or her cage multiple times a day?

Just trying to make sure that he or she has the perfect starter home before I order.

Welcome to the Forums!!

Most people use Linear bulbs, however i dont see anything wrong with the new compact bulbs. Their use to be problems with them but as far as i know, they have been fixed.

Drippers are great, but you will need to spray the cage a few times a day as well to keep humidity up. Do yourself a favor and invest in a misting system. Mistking or Aquazamp. Cant go wrong with either. I personally would ditch the thermometer and go to homedepot. Get yourself a thermometer/ humidity gauge double. They are about 12 bucks.

Also, make sure you build some sort of stand, with drainage. You'll go through a lot of water every day.

ReptiBreeze 16x16x30
Zoo Med Digital thermometer
Zoo Med Vines
Exo Terra plants
ReptiSun 5.0 (Should I do compact linear ReptiSun 5.0 or Linear bulbs? I have both)
No substrate (will use paper towels to avoid him or her getting substrate in their mouth when they go after a cricket)

Any suggestions as to what else to add? I am thinking of doing some live plants. Maybe hibiscus or Croton. This chameleon will be a baby. I bought what was to come in a chameleon set up by itself. Also, should I do a dripper, mister, or simply spray his or her cage multiple times a day?

Just trying to make sure that he or she has the perfect starter home before I order.

Welcome to the forums! :) You will find much different and correct info on here than you will at a pet store. Just a few points...

-5.0 UVB linear; Arcadia bulbs are the best out there
-Incandescent house bulb (same output as store bought bulbs); create 80-85 degrees F temps for basking, 70-75 for ambient
-LIVE plants; always better than fake. http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp. I have an umbrella plant/schefflera and a pothos.
-No substrate, paper towel is good to use, make sure there is good drainage
-Feeders: Crickets, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, phoenix worms/calciworms, superworms, and much more. Look up gutloading on here, Sandrachameleon has many fantastic recipes to get your feeders MRE.
-Supplement with either: Calcium no D3 every day, Calcium with D3 twice a month, and Multivitamin twice a month OR: Repashy Calcium Plus a few times a week.
-Humidity should be around 60% daytime, and above 70% at night
-Purchase a nice misting system to make it easier on yourself (Mist King is the best out there); A dripper should be running also
-12 hour light schedule; 12 hours on, 12 hours off

These were just some basic things you should take into consideration. Look around on the forum and ask more questions, there is no such thing as a perfect care sheet. :)

Also, how old is the baby you're getting?

Welcome to the Forums!!

Most people use Linear bulbs, however i dont see anything wrong with the new compact bulbs. Their use to be problems with them but as far as i know, they have been fixed.

Drippers are great, but you will need to spray the cage a few times a day as well to keep humidity up. Do yourself a favor and invest in a misting system. Mistking or Aquazamp. Cant go wrong with either. I personally would ditch the thermometer and go to homedepot. Get yourself a thermometer/ humidity gauge double. They are about 12 bucks.

Also, make sure you build some sort of stand, with drainage. You'll go through a lot of water every day.

Thank you. I will definitely look into a misting system and getting a dual thermometer/humidity gauge as well as some sort of draining system.

Welcome to the forums! :) You will find much different and correct info on here than you will at a pet store. Just a few points...

-5.0 UVB linear; Arcadia bulbs are the best out there
-Incandescent house bulb (same output as store bought bulbs); create 80-85 degrees F temps for basking, 70-75 for ambient
-LIVE plants; always better than fake. http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp. I have an umbrella plant/schefflera and a pothos.
-No substrate, paper towel is good to use, make sure there is good drainage
-Feeders: Crickets, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, phoenix worms/calciworms, superworms, and much more. Look up gutloading on here, Sandrachameleon has many fantastic recipes to get your feeders MRE.
-Supplement with either: Calcium no D3 every day, Calcium with D3 twice a month, and Multivitamin twice a month OR: Repashy Calcium Plus a few times a week.
-Humidity should be around 60% daytime, and above 70% at night
-Purchase a nice misting system to make it easier on yourself (Mist King is the best out there); A dripper should be running also
-12 hour light schedule; 12 hours on, 12 hours off

These were just some basic things you should take into consideration. Look around on the forum and ask more questions, there is no such thing as a perfect care sheet. :)

Also, how old is the baby you're getting?

Thank you for the advice! I have been doing as much research as I can and most of it is either redundant or contradictory to itself. I am not exactly sure of age as it states they are 3-4", but now when they were born.

I am also new to chameleons and will be getting my first one in the next few weeks hopefully. I just wanted to let you know that in all of my research, I have found this site to be the most informative. I have learned so much on this site. Good luck with your new baby!

I am also new to chameleons and will be getting my first one in the next few weeks hopefully. I just wanted to let you know that in all of my research, I have found this site to be the most informative. I have learned so much on this site. Good luck with your new baby!

Thank you. Good luck with yours as well:)

Back
Top Bottom