Going on vacation

grccola

I have a 6 month old panther and I am goig on vacation from Sunday to FridAy I just want to know how much food to leave in the cage on sunday morning. I have crickets, repti worms and Blue bottle flyes .

I'm always wary of leaving too many crickets in their enclosure because crickets will bite/gnaw on the cham. A cham that age should be eating 8-12 crickets a day, but if a temporary situation, they could go with eating every other day.

I'd be more concerned about maintaining humidity. Do you have an automatic misting system?

Can you have someone come by and fill up your water container and feed your Cham. He may be ok without food but he will certainly need water. If you leave enough food for the week, it's nutritional value will be poor as it will have lost its gut load. Also there will be no supplements left on them after several hours.

Can you have someone come by and fill up your water container and feed your Cham. He may be ok without food but he will certainly need water. If you leave enough food for the week, it's nutritional value will be poor as it will have lost its gut load. Also there will be no supplements left on them after several hours.
I agree with Kate. Your leaving for awhile so I'd get someone to some over like every other day.

Agree! I would ask someone too. I know it's hard to find but it's better for your cham. I will ask someone in the Summer too (I would sleep better). :)

you for sure need someone to come by and add food and water. I guess your misting cycles must be really short for your mistking to last a week without needing refilling. Leaving that many crickets in the cage will likely result in them chewing on your chameleon as well as the fact that they wont be gutloaded anymore. There are ways to make food last for a few days, but I think a week for a 6 month old is a long time to go without someone checking up.

If it were me going on vacation, I would not enjoy my vacation much if I did not know my animals were properly cared for while I was gone.

Yeah, I stopped traveling when I acquired all of my animals. I had the choice of traveling or owning animals and I chose the latter. I went away once and was worried sick about how they were all doing at home. Was not an enjoyable vacation at all.

4 days is really not that long (assuming you feed it on Sunday and on Friday). I would feed it well for the week before hand and you should be good. Obviously having somebody stop in every other day or so is better, but I believe that our captive chameleons tend to eat way more than their wild counterparts. Water is a completely different thing than food, but you've got that covered.

I might have someone who can stop by once or twice but if I can't I have reptiworms which are high in calcium can I leave a few dozen in a cup and let him eat them when he wants plus leave 15 or so crickets plus I can leave some blue bottle flubs to hatch by the end of the week .

Well looks like my problem is solved my friend who by the way sells reptiles will be able to stop by on Tuesday and Thursday to check and feed my cham

Back
Top Bottom