Gout?

Alastair&Anna

Established Member
I guess I'll start this off by saying my cham Randall is really old. I got him from another member here in May 2021, and he had told me that he was 4 or 5 years old. That makes him 7 or 8 years old. I moved out of my home because I started college, and my family is caring for my babies during the week when I'm gone. I come home on the weekends to take care of them (them being Alastair and Randall). About 2 weeks ago I came home and I quite frankly thought Randall was dead. He had gotten stuck in his food bowl upside down and wasn't moving and was extremely pale. He wasn't dead however thank god, and I took his food bowl out immediately so it wouldn't happen again. And the next few days he was doing better.

On top of that, he has had trouble eating because he can't shoot his tongue very far, so the food has to be in a shallow dish so he can catch it. This being because of old age I believe, because he gets the vitamins he needs. He has not had any issues with his appetite.

Now here's the main issue. Randalls left back leg is extremely swollen, from what I'm assuming is gout. The swelling has gone down a bit in the last few days according to my parents. The swelling happened after he had been fed quite a few superworms, either it is a complete coincidence or I'm assuming the protein from those caused a spike,.

I noticed the swelling last Sunday. I added a dripper to his cage as well as having my family spray down his cage when they have time on top of my mistking to promote drinking to decrease dehydration. I’ve had my parents moderating the swelling throughout this week and according to them it's gone down a bit. I asked them to stop feeding superworms because of the high protein, and they cut down the dubias as well.

My two main questions are, one, should I wait to see if the swelling goes down in the next coming days before going to a vet, and two, do you think that the vet is just going to put him down because of his age.

I understand that he is old, and I don't want him to be living if it just means more pain.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Randall, Veiled Chameleon, about 7 or 8, I’m assuming 8, I've had him since may 2021

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Randall enjoys being out with me which is kinda weird considering they typically dont like people. I take him out every now and then, but now that I’ve moved out he isn’t taken out at all.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He eats dubia roaches, 5 or 6 at a time, every 2 or 3 days, recently he’s gotten superworms with the roaches. Gut Loading is typically whatever greens we have in the house.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Rep-Cal calcium without D3 and Rep-Cal with D3, along with the multivitamin retivite with d3 but it isnt ever used at the same time as a the calcium with d3

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a mist king hooked up to both of my chameleons cage, it goes off for a minute every morning and night. Randall drinks in front of me, but because I’ve moved out I’m not sure if he is drinking or not

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop looks normal, but I’ve moved out so I’m not 100% sure what it looks like right now. I’ve never tested him for parasites because I haven’t felt the need to because he’s been healthy except for now. I'm not sure about his previous owner

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? He has a screen cage, 2 x2x 4

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a reptisun 24w t5 5.0 . lights on at 8am and off at 8pm

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? his basking is 84-86 F and his floor is like 72 F, I use a reptile thermometer, at night its prolly like 72-74F

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity is 50-60% I use a humidity gauge. (live plants and misting)

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, umbrella tree, and some cuttings

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room, on top of a desk. It is in the same room as my ceiling fan. The top of the cage is like a foot from my ceiling.

• Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in california, the bay area, near san jose.

Here’s some pictures of his leg:
AD_4nXcQZ2RAiCt1pCbDFXurcKdQekHqvAgKZREsJcOu4SJyalcaMbIuCshOrXw70aeosVBW8nWIjs1_Bnoqxc1Go5T4ltRNQTONcgjSCoeLB0plnRMqiaxvSgSUyMKOAM145BSjvKwAxzCMdiaSpQIY4BuXFp-U
AD_4nXdwsoaR7XMgdXFRuxsvZpB5QJSqD1QRuohJqBErlJQ1Ig9GknW-GuuFtg4Ap0xx5xrfKbNTJrHgcHp7S8Gt2npIyjchBl4Aa-ws90fDRfsLKY7mFEo1TSUpMUkiNsVum8pvoQVT1HRhFLtSMDEFrHrriVif

High protein feeders dont cause gout.

feeding high protein feeders, high protein, causes the feeders to store protein as uric acid.
Uric acid is unique to the insect world. Us mouth breathers can not "store" protein. So our bodies do not know what to do with the stuff.
Mouth breathers then store this funny uric acid that it cant metabolize, in the joints for safe keeping.

Dubia are known to generate alot of uric acid when feed a high protein diet, typically fish food flakes/meal.
Crickets are the protein kings, they can eat a diet so high in protein that it would kill off a dubia colony.

I have never heard of grubs (supers or normal meal worms) having high uric acid, due to their main food source.

High protein feeders dont cause gout.

feeding high protein feeders, high protein, causes the feeders to store protein as uric acid.
Uric acid is unique to the insect world. Us mouth breathers can not "store" protein. So our bodies do not know what to do with the stuff.
Mouth breathers then store this funny uric acid that it cant metabolize, in the joints for safe keeping.

Dubia are known to generate alot of uric acid when feed a high protein diet, typically fish food flakes/meal.
Crickets are the protein kings, they can eat a diet so high in protein that it would kill off a dubia colony.

I have never heard of grubs (supers or normal meal worms) having high uric acid, due to their main food source.
interesting I did not know that. when I was researching I read that feeders with high protein could cause it but I suppose they were probably talking about high protein in the insects diet.

"Uric acid crystals form because of a high level of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia). There are two possible reasons why uric acid levels are elevated in the blood of a chameleon: one is caused by too much protein in the diet of your chameleon (primary gout) and the other one is kidney failure (secondary gout). Both types of gout have the same symptoms and effects."

would overfeeding be the issue then? or something else like kidney failure?

interesting I did not know that. when I was researching I read that feeders with high protein could cause it but I suppose they were probably talking about high protein in the insects diet.

"Uric acid crystals form because of a high level of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia). There are two possible reasons why uric acid levels are elevated in the blood of a chameleon: one is caused by too much protein in the diet of your chameleon (primary gout) and the other one is kidney failure (secondary gout). Both types of gout have the same symptoms and effects."

would overfeeding be the issue then? or something else like kidney failure?

The only time i have had this issue is over feeding lizards pinkies. AKA too much organ meat. And this caused kidney issues, not gout.

You are correct that gout is caused by the kidneys not getting rid of the uric acid fast enough. Unfortunately i dont have the key of either increasing kidney function, or decreasing the source of the uric acid.

But... Chams are 100% live prey eaters. Live prey dont have carbs, other than what they have eaten, and blood glycogen which is very low, and chams cant digest much hard chitin . So if "they" say your cham is eating too much protein, the only other macro is fat... But in the other breath, "they" say dont feed high fat feeders.

I still stand by the fact that feeders that are naturally high in protein, have a mechanism to store excess protein as uric acid to be used at times when protein is scarce. Just like we mouth breathers have a mechanism to store excess fat, to be used later.

I’m not a vet, but that doesn’t look like gout to me. You need a good chameleon vet to tell you for sure what’s going on IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom