Grasshopper Haven

CryptKeeper

Established Member
Got my new batch of differential grasshoppers after all 100 died last week from pesticides on the veggies I gave them. (Which 100% has to be the case since I found 3 in my house throughout the week alive and healthy that must’ve escaped when transferring them so didn’t eat or get next to the food)

This batch had 20 dead on arrival which worried me but the rest seem like they’re fine. I guess being in the mail for 4 days isn’t good lol. I paid for overnight but usps delayed it.

Anyways here’s their new home hoping they last a long time. Found some mating lol but I know these guys need diapause so doubt I’ll be getting any nymphs from them. Maybe I should lay down an egg bin just in case though?

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 6
So you’re using a front opening tank for yours. Others I’ve seen are using screen. Obviously you say you had some escape, but is that a frequent problem or no? I have both empty tanks and screen enclosures and wondering now which I should use.

Got my new batch of differential grasshoppers after all 100 died last week from pesticides on the veggies I gave them. (Which 100% has to be the case since I found 3 in my house throughout the week alive and healthy that must’ve escaped when transferring them so didn’t eat or get next to the food)

This batch had 20 dead on arrival which worried me but the rest seem like they’re fine. I guess being in the mail for 4 days isn’t good lol. I paid for overnight but usps delayed it.

Anyways here’s their new home hoping they last a long time. Found some mating lol but I know these guys need diapause so doubt I’ll be getting any nymphs from them. Maybe I should lay down an egg bin just in case though?
I would definitely add a lay bin.

So you’re using a front opening tank for yours. Others I’ve seen are using screen. Obviously you say you had some escape, but is that a frequent problem or no? I have both empty tanks and screen enclosures and wondering now which I should use.
It has screen on the sides so it’s a hybrid. I was told screen enclosures are best but also hard to keep temps up. These are just feeders not breeders btw. And no they don’t escape, they just did as I was transferring from the shipping box to the enclosure without me noticing.

It has screen on the sides so it’s a hybrid. I was told screen enclosures are best but also hard to keep temps up. These are just feeders not breeders btw. And no they don’t escape, they just did as I was transferring from the shipping box to the enclosure without me noticing.
Ok, thanks! I’ve been thinking that they are as jumpy as crickets, which I currently have a good number of escapees all the time. Lifting the lid of the deli cup that I use to dust them in, is like popping corn without a lid. :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks! I’ve been thinking that they are as jumpy as crickets, which I currently have a good number of escapees all the time. Lifting the lid of the deli cup that I use to dust them in, is like popping corn without a lid. :rolleyes:
Haha well when I dust the hoppers they def jump around. I use one of those small reptile plastic containers. I ordered 6 of them on Amazon for like $5-$10 I forget, but they have lids so it’s perfect. These are also differential grasshoppers not the ones from dean or khai and I’m not sure if different species are more docile or not. They also like to hang on the top screen a bunch of them fyi.

And when they do jump they jump much harder and faster than crickets haha you hear it, and if one jumps on you you get a good scare tbh haha they’re very fast and powerful jumpers that’s for sure

And when they do jump they jump much harder and faster than crickets haha you hear it, and if one jumps on you you get a good scare tbh haha they’re very fast and powerful jumpers that’s for sure
Yes, I’ve seen the giant monsters leaping and flying around outside. 😬 They scare the crap out of me. I’m either finally insane or love my chams more than fear. 😂

Yes, I’ve seen the giant monsters leaping and flying around outside. 😬 They scare the crap out of me. I’m either finally insane or love my chams more than fear. 😂
Haha it’s def the love of the chams. I’m fascinated by bugs but don’t really like touching them except for certain things but yeah the grasshoppers I’m using tongs same for crickets haha I don’t like jumping bugs. Or spiders but I’ll be the first to take one outside instead of killing one lol

You can always do the diapause. Place egg laying bins in the enclosure- once you find eggs stick the container in the fridge for 3 months. Pull them out and let them hatch!

Haha it’s def the love of the chams. I’m fascinated by bugs but don’t really like touching them except for certain things but yeah the grasshoppers I’m using tongs same for crickets haha I don’t like jumping bugs. Or spiders but I’ll be the first to take one outside instead of killing one
You can always do the diapause. Place egg laying bins in the enclosure- once you find eggs stick the container in the fridge for 3 months. Pull them out and let them hatch!
ok awesome. I know the differentials stay in diapause for much longer. They get laid in late summer early fall and hatch in late spring early summer. So I can just try 3 months? I just laid down 3 egg bins in there since they’ve all been mating now. I think maybe that’s why they’re dying too. They all have wings and prob the end of their lifespan? Idk lol just guessing.

Haha it’s def the love of the chams. I’m fascinated by bugs but don’t really like touching them except for certain things but yeah the grasshoppers I’m using tongs same for crickets haha I don’t like jumping bugs. Or spiders but I’ll be the first to take one outside instead of killing one

ok awesome. I know the differentials stay in diapause for much longer. They get laid in late summer early fall and hatch in late spring early summer. So I can just try 3 months? I just laid down 3 egg bins in there since they’ve all been mating now. I think maybe that’s why they’re dying too. They all have wings and prob the end of their lifespan? Idk lol just guessing.
Yes, at the end of their lifespan probably. You could try 3 months, or to be safe maybe 4-5 months? I’ve never done the diapause with differentials but know people who have.
One is on here occasionally @SauceGandhi
Aka @feedmychameleon on Instagram.

You could try reaching out to him for better info.

Yes, at the end of their lifespan probably. You could try 3 months, or to be safe maybe 4-5 months? I’ve never done the diapause with differentials but know people who have.
One is on here occasionally @SauceGandhi
Aka @feedmychameleon on Instagram.

You could try reaching out to him for better info.
Lmao yeah I’ve been speaking to him but had no idea that was his username here so ended up messaging dean twice about it 😂 he helped me out but never worked with this region of the differential.

Back
Top Bottom