Green Mold in Superworm Culture

Hi, has anyone experienced this green mold in Superworm culture? The bedding is oatmeal for the black beetles and superworms (also put my leftover crickets in there) but this happened after leaving a Roman lettuce heart on the oatmeal, usually I only leave apples and potatoes since they dry up pretty quickly. I’ve also been keeping them outside and noticed a morning dew actually builds on the inside of the bin, probably feeding the mold.

My questions are, is this mold dangerous? Do I transplant the culture even though there’s eggs in there? Is there a solution to kill the mold like sunlight exposure?

Attachments

• A715298B-65E1-48E5-8916-3980144519D6.jpeg
    A715298B-65E1-48E5-8916-3980144519D6.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D3A22C2C-B56B-4428-B150-83257A8B6534.jpeg
    D3A22C2C-B56B-4428-B150-83257A8B6534.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 6
Dont know about dangerous, but oats+poop+moisture=blue/green mold. I have gotten it many of times. I would stick with bran, since it doesnt mold, and you dont get grain mites.

This is what I meant by dangerous and why I tagged @JacksJill as she has talked about it a few times in the forum. Not sure if has the same with what this person is dealing with but again that is why I tagged her. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/aflatoxicosis.158656/

I never got anything like that. I just cleaned out the supers and moved them to a new bedding. I didnt wash or toss them.

But with the batch that OP has, id just toss the few bucks of crickets(in my case it was a fresh $40 box of supers). As for crickets, i always house them with at least 2 sides of screen that way you dont get the moisture and ammonia build up.

I keep my crickets on a paper towel substrate for easy cleaning and put their food on something like a paper plate or similar. For superworms I keep them on wheat bran, which they eat and then I’ll give just small slices of a lower moisture veggie, like carrot, squash, sweet potato to hydrate them without saturating their bran.

Back
Top Bottom