Handling baby Panther

unixmiah

full

^
he is that exact size: not sure how old he is-- these idiots at Petco know how to sell you one quickly but they don't know his age? wow-- anyways. I'm hoping someone can tell me or give me in idea of how old he may be.

Is it wise to handle a baby panther chameleon? Will they get stressed. He seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less scared of my 5 months old Veiled Chameleon.

The baby panther did hiss once, but its because I tried to get him from the back by mistake. He doesn't get scared and runs away like the Veiled which is great.

I heard that you're not supposed to handle a baby panther too much because they can stess and they are fragile?

Isn't it better if you handle them now vs. when they are little bigger and if they are still scared of you it will take a long time for them to warm up. How do you make them chill?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my 5 month old baby Panther. Yours is way smaller if I had to guess I'd say about 2 months. Hand feeding is a good way to get them comfortable with you, once they realize your hand= food they aren't so scared . Mine will eat from my hand and doesn't run away when I put my hand close to him but still hasn't climbed onto my hand yet. It takes patience for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 217
My best guess is around 6-8 weeks old. I'm shocked that they would sell such a young panther. That is so irresponsible.
Make sure to feed the little guy every single day and spray him extremely often. I'd say give him a good little mist 4-5 times a day. Also make sure he doesn't get to hot. At that age they dehydrate quickly.
As far as handling I would say no. Not even a little bit. Needs to be atleast double that size. Don't worry if fed correctly he will double in size in prob 4 weeks. They grow QUICK at that age.
Give him some variety in (fruit flys, house flys, crickets, mantids,ect,ect). food and you will be amazed at his growth and health.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

My best guess is around 6-8 weeks old. I'm shocked that they would sell such a young panther. That is so irresponsible.
Make sure to feed the little guy every single day and spray him extremely often. I'd say give him a good little mist 4-5 times a day. Also make sure he doesn't get to hot. At that age they dehydrate quickly.
As far as handling I would say no. Not even a little bit. Needs to be atleast double that size. Don't worry if fed correctly he will double in size in prob 4 weeks. They grow QUICK at that age.
Give him some variety in (fruit flys, house flys, crickets, mantids,ect,ect). food and you will be amazed at his growth and health.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Agreed, No handling. Once he's older (at least 4 months) you can see how comfortable he is around your hand. Trying to hand feed is the best way to get him to be comfortable with you. I'm not surprised he's more comfortable than your Veiled, they're a little more laid back.

Hi...hope this helps...I just got this little guy 2 days ago, his hatch date is 6/15/15 so he's almost 2 months old. As you can see, he's 3" long. Let me know if yours is comparable to mine. Do you know what type of panther? Mine's a blue bar Ambilobe. I tried weighing him, but he doesn't even weigh 1 gram...the scale showed "0".

unixmiah: I absolutely love your joke that I saw in your visitors messages:
Q: Did you hear about the old chameleon that couldn't change colour?
A: He had a reptile disfunction.

im thinking this is just a 1-2 month old, i'd err on the side of 1 month. I have hatched babies before, and this is just a bit larger than hatchlings!! feed him fruit flies and be careful with him, he is a cutie though! soon enough you can slowly graduate to a couple pinheads (1/4in crickets)

I agree with the last guess. I just hatched a baby 5 days ago that was 3 months past his due date. He's about as big as yours, so yours COULD be as old as a month in that photo.

He seems super tiny though. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom