Handling

birthnugget

Ok, so I know that like all chameleons are not created equal and some might be grump lumps there entire lives, while others want to never go in their enclosure, I get it. However, from what I have read, handling is almost healthy for the babies after gaining trust via handfeeding and being respectful to them and their environment. I have a 4 month old panther (4 months as of tomorrow) and he eats from my fingers, but is still shy. Recently, he discovered how to shadow me (climb sideways on the branch opposite of me) and I'm not sure why. I have tried multiple times to get him out of the enclosure, but only succeeded once. I know he may never become accustomed to people as they are big and scary, but should I being making strives to get him out and let him chill on another plant, or holding him for seconds at a time and gradually building over time? I don't want him to be terrified of 'the hand' his entire life, and I don't want a potentially social chameleon be antisocial because I didn't start things off right. What should I do?

Place a tree or large plant in front of his cage with the door open and close enough that he can reach it. Watch him from a distance. Most likely he will come out. Once out they are usually much friendlier.

Place a tree or large plant in front of his cage with the door open and close enough that he can reach it. Watch him from a distance. Most likely he will come out. Once out they are usually much friendlier.
My female veiled falls under the small percentile of not becoming friendly out of her cage! :rolleyes: She's sassy any where she is. If you even walk past her free range she puffs up at you!

My female veiled falls under the small percentile of not becoming friendly out of her cage! :rolleyes: She's sassy any where she is. If you even walk past her free range she puffs up at you!

It often requires more than just free ranging. You have to hand feed and interact with them. This is from a thread where I posted years ago.

I truly love my guys and spend tons of time interacting with them. I spoil them by pretty much allowing them to do whatever they want as long as it's safe for them. I try to let mine do fun things that chameleons really like to do. Like go outside, hang in the trees on my screened back porch and so forth. Another example is yesterday I was holding my baby Elly as I went over to turn out the lights on her big daddy Luie's free range. Baby L was madly reaching and grabbing for the giant free range so this morning I let her hang out in the big free range for a couple of hours while Luie was in another free range in the back. It takes very simple thing to give them pleasure and make them happy.

So my suggestion to you it every time he comes out to allow him to do something fun. Like a walk outside. Buy him a large plant or tree to hang out on in a safe area when you can closely supervise. He'll come around in no time.

It often requires more than just free ranging. You have to hand feed and interact with them. This is from a thread where I posted years ago.

I truly love my guys and spend tons of time interacting with them. I spoil them by pretty much allowing them to do whatever they want as long as it's safe for them. I try to let mine do fun things that chameleons really like to do. Like go outside, hang in the trees on my screened back porch and so forth. Another example is yesterday I was holding my baby Elly as I went over to turn out the lights on her big daddy Luie's free range. Baby L was madly reaching and grabbing for the giant free range so this morning I let her hang out in the big free range for a couple of hours while Luie was in another free range in the back. It takes very simple thing to give them pleasure and make them happy.

So my suggestion to you it every time he comes out to allow him to do something fun. Like a walk outside. Buy him a large plant or tree to hang out on in a safe area when you can closely supervise. He'll come around in no time.
Yes I know. I've tried hand feeding, cup feeding, and so forth. She won't budge. But being that at a young age I had to medicate her through infection for 2 weeks, that probably put a damper on things. She can go where ever she wants in her room. She hasn't chose to leave her free range yet. Sounds like you've got some spoiled chams! I'm the same way with all my animals lol

I actually did put a tree in front of his enclosure, and he did come out. However, I think because I had to force him onto a stick to the point where he gaped his mouth, he won't come out anymore. I'm actually afraid that he's sick because he is always dark colors nowadays. He'll eat one cricket from my fingers, and then stop wheareas he used to eat them all out of my fingers. He is always hiding in his private spot in the top back corner of his enclosure and he won't come out unless I leave. I'm really afraid because I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I just want him to be ok. I follow supplementation to the book and try to feed him 8-10 crickets a day. I don't know what to do. Today while I was at work, my sister said he was resting his head on a branch and she says she thought his eyes were closed, which tells me something is very, very wrong. It seems the ore I try to do with/for him, the worse he gets.

I actually did put a tree in front of his enclosure, and he did come out. However, I think because I had to force him onto a stick to the point where he gaped his mouth, he won't come out anymore. I'm actually afraid that he's sick because he is always dark colors nowadays. He'll eat one cricket from my fingers, and then stop wheareas he used to eat them all out of my fingers. He is always hiding in his private spot in the top back corner of his enclosure and he won't come out unless I leave. I'm really afraid because I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I just want him to be ok. I follow supplementation to the book and try to feed him 8-10 crickets a day. I don't know what to do. Today while I was at work, my sister said he was resting his head on a branch and she says she thought his eyes were closed, which tells me something is very, very wrong. It seems the ore I try to do with/for him, the worse he gets.

Has he gotten any better?

Back
Top Bottom