Hatchling colors

Peppered

Hello again! The two hatchlings are doing well so far, both are eating and pooping, although baby #2 still has a somewhat enlarged eye. I may be wrong, but it seems to be either getting smaller or the baby is growing "into" the eye and it just appears more normal sized (if that makes sense). I'm planning to separate them to their 2x2x4 enclosures within the next couple of days. I have a question about their colors though!

I noticed with the first baby (M&M) he tends to stay more of a brown to salmon-pink and tan color most of the time. Darker brown when I mist them or if he otherwise feels disturbed. His dorsal patterning is usually very obvious unless he's super dark brown. I'm more curious about baby #2 (still unnamed) colors though! He is most often a very pale grey to white with just a little dark patterning along the ridge of his back, and I often can't discern any dorsal pattern (though I know it's there). His stress color is a solid dark brown to black.

I was checking on them a little bit ago before the lights came on and I noticed that baby #2 was again the pale grey and dark spine markings but also had blue-green "blush" across his face! Is it common for hatchlings to begin coloring up so young?? I was under the impression I wouldn't see any true coloration until at least 3-4 months old. I wish I could have gotten a pic of it, very pretty! The babies are from 2 different breeding pairs so I assume that's why they might be so drastically different in their general coloration as hatchlings.

Pepper for tax :)

Attachments

• 20240915_073225.jpg
    20240915_073225.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom