Hazards of 3D printing

JacksJill

Website Manager
Staff member
I have some real concerns for people and pets with the new trend of 3D printing for chameleons. Before people plunge into this I think they should be aware of the dangers. This list comes from the Rochester Institute of technology.

3D printer hazards include, but are not limited to:
  • The generation of ultrafine/nano-sized particles;
  • Heat;
  • Mechanical hazards from moving parts;
  • High voltage;
  • Ultraviolet light; and.
  • Chemical vapors (ex. styrene, acrylonitrile, or formaldehyde, etc.) depending on the media being used.

I will only discuss the two points I highlighted in red. First ultra fine/nano sized particles are released during printing and can remain on the object after printing and can be emitted during use of the object. This was just released by the US EPA "Sep 4, 2024 — Studies have found that the 3D printing process releases gases and particulates which could pose health risks to users." The article states "3D printers can release particles of ultrafine size (1–100 nm), and researchers have found that they are small enough to be deposited deeper into the respiratory system. These particles can be more difficult to clear from the body than larger solid particulates." They don't draw specific conclusions in this article about the hazards with particulates in the lungs but it is known that other fine particulates can lead to cancer, emphysema and COPD.
Exposure to such particles can affect both your lungs and your heart. Also from the EPA "Numerous scientific studies have linked particle pollution exposure to a variety of problems, including: premature death in people with heart or lung disease ,nonfatal heart attacks ,irregular heartbeat ,aggravated asthma ,decreased lung function and increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing or difficulty breathing." I would think long and hard about intentionally bring air pollution into your home or office around your family and pets. We know chameleons have far more sensitive lungs than we do. I would advise against using a 3D printer in a building with your chameleon in it. I would be reluctant to use 3D printed objects in close proximity to my chameleons.

This brings me to the second point. 3D printing releases toxic fumes. From the EPA "3D printing emits a complex mixture of up to 111 hazardous chemicals. High emitting materials include nylon (particle), ASA (VOC), ABS and HIPS (both)." We know VOC is not safe for chameleons or people that is why you have to move your chameloen out of the house when you paint. Don't let your chameleon become the *canary in a coal mine at your house. We lose chameleons to respiratory problems all to often. I wonder whether some of these deaths and the sudden unexplained deaths aren't from toxic chemical exposure.

I expect proponent of 3D printing to say that there are food safe plastics that you can use to print. Unfortunately the plastic might be considered safe but the additives used to make it printable or colorful likely are not. Here is an article for if you would like to read more formlabs.com/blog/guide-to-food-safe-3d-printing/ if you don't I got from it that printed plastic needs to be coated to be food safe and that the coating doesn't last very long.

I know this trend is all the rage and I'm raining on the parade but I couldn't in good conscience let people accidentally harm themselves, their families or their pets.

*For those of you that don't know canaries were used in mines to detect toxic gases. If the canary stopped singing and died it was time to evacuate the mine.

I hear people talking about barely being able to smell the plastic while it's printing but if you are smelling it it's because you are inhaling the particles and the fumes. If you own a printer already be sure to use it in the garage or use it with a system that vents it outdoors. We've had the to sense to ban second hand smoke in public and then we bring a different polluter into our homes.

I have some real concerns for people and pets with the new trend of 3D printing for chameleons. Before people plunge into this I think they should be aware of the dangers. This list comes from the Rochester Institute of technology.

3D printer hazards include, but are not limited to:
  • The generation of ultrafine/nano-sized particles;
  • Heat;
  • Mechanical hazards from moving parts;
  • High voltage;
  • Ultraviolet light; and.
  • Chemical vapors (ex. styrene, acrylonitrile, or formaldehyde, etc.) depending on the media being used.

I will only discuss the two points I highlighted in red. First ultra fine/nano sized particles are released during printing and can remain on the object after printing and can be emitted during use of the object. This was just released by the US EPA "Sep 4, 2024 — Studies have found that the 3D printing process releases gases and particulates which could pose health risks to users." The article states "3D printers can release particles of ultrafine size (1–100 nm), and researchers have found that they are small enough to be deposited deeper into the respiratory system. These particles can be more difficult to clear from the body than larger solid particulates." They don't draw specific conclusions in this article about the hazards with particulates in the lungs but it is known that other fine particulates can lead to cancer, emphysema and COPD.
Exposure to such particles can affect both your lungs and your heart. Also from the EPA "Numerous scientific studies have linked particle pollution exposure to a variety of problems, including: premature death in people with heart or lung disease ,nonfatal heart attacks ,irregular heartbeat ,aggravated asthma ,decreased lung function and increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing or difficulty breathing." I would think long and hard about intentionally bring air pollution into your home or office around your family and pets. We know chameleons have far more sensitive lungs than we do. I would advise against using a 3D printer in a building with your chameleon in it. I would be reluctant to use 3D printed objects in close proximity to my chameleons.

This brings me to the second point. 3D printing releases toxic fumes. From the EPA "3D printing emits a complex mixture of up to 111 hazardous chemicals. High emitting materials include nylon (particle), ASA (VOC), ABS and HIPS (both)." We know VOC is not safe for chameleons or people that is why you have to move your chameloen out of the house when you paint. Don't let your chameleon become the *canary in a coal mine at your house. We lose chameleons to respiratory problems all to often. I wonder whether some of these deaths and the sudden unexplained deaths aren't from toxic chemical exposure.

I expect proponent of 3D printing to say that there are food safe plastics that you can use to print. Unfortunately the plastic might be considered safe but the additives used to make it printable or colorful likely are not. Here is an article for if you would like to read more formlabs.com/blog/guide-to-food-safe-3d-printing/ if you don't I got from it that printed plastic needs to be coated to be food safe and that the coating doesn't last very long.

I know this trend is all the rage and I'm raining on the parade but I couldn't in good conscience let people accidentally harm themselves, their families or their pets.

*For those of you that don't know canaries were used in mines to detect toxic gases. If the canary stopped singing and died it was time to evacuate the mine.

This is incredible information. And so valuable, because it is pretty much a guarantee that most people don't think this deeply into something like this. Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom