He tries to eat my fingers. Is he ok?

Gecky

Hal was a rescue. when we first got him, he was very malnourished and nutrient deficient. We started him on dubia and a superworm daily for 2 weeks to bulk him up a bit, then cut down to 3 dubia every other day and a superworm once a week.
I was extremely surprised by how quickly I gained his trust. I wasn't expecting him to like me ever, honestly, but after the first week he would practically run out of the cage and onto his food bowl before I even set it down. Now he eats directly out of his bowl, fully climbing onto it when I hold it.
When we first cut the superworms down, he finished what was in his bowl, but wouldn't climb off again. He climbed onto the tongs, then tried to eat my fingers. I was told to expect a change in behaviour when we changed his diet because chameleons can get picky, but I was warned of a food strike, not eating me.
When we moved him to his bigger enclosure (previous owners had him in a tiny thing from petsmart) he was so eager to get in, he climbed directly on my hand and let me carry him over with no fuss. So he knows my hand is a hand. But now, every time I feed him, he tries to eat my fingers when he's done. It's a long winded story, but my question is, could this be a sign he is lacking something in his diet? Is he trying to tell me he is unsatisfied? Or does he just think my fingers are superworms?

Can you post pictures of him so we can see his overall body condition? It is not abnormal for them to try to target fingers. However we want to check body condition to ensure he is getting the right food intake.

Back
Top Bottom