help me plz im a noob

coolpets

my son just bought a 15 month old blue bar male chameleon , well he paid 150$ so wright off the bat I thought there's got to be something wrong with him. Only beacuse I see they cost much more then that. Well I was giving him the once over today:) he looks really well fed and very colorfull . The one thing I did notice though is one of his elbow's is white almost like there's no skin. He seem to be really happy but then again im very new to chameleon's(all I no is reef tanks:eek:) I really hope he's ok this will be his 2nd chameleon the first one was like his little bro he loved him much and took really good care of him.

If you could put a pic up of the elbow joint we will be able to tell you if there is anything to worrie about, you could also put a few up of the Cham him self if you would like us to give him the once over

Welcome!

It's possible that spot is just about to shed.

Like they said, get a pic and we can go from there.

If you can fill out this form in as much detail as you can, it will help us identify any potential problems more easily:

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

welcome to the forums and chameleon ownership! Please fill out the form in the post before mine and pics of your chameleon and setup would be helpful so we can check things out and make sure you are on the right track.

I sour bover filling the form out yet it could just be shedding skin or a scar

The white patch could well be something straightforward, but if the OP would like help checking the setup etc, then I think it's worth filling out the form to be sure all the bases are covered. Especially if this is a second chameleon and we don't know the circumstances around the first, it's better to give Coolpets as much information as needed to make sure their chameleon is off to a good start.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341583640.723736.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341583663.541184.jpg

ok it looks better today but now its seems to be on his back and head, he feeds him every other day about 7 lg crickets as for as gutload he use's flukers orange cubes and cricket quencher also some greens his cage is screen
ad37a483-f258-6e30.jpg
ad37a483-f443-7cf8.jpg
i was told he is 15 months and we got him yesterday from craglist

his last chameleon was a valid he had for about 5 years i would say lets just say his 3 year old sister got a hold of him:(

He looks fine.

Though I would gutload better. that store bought stuff isnt that good.

Look up blogs from sandrachameleon about gutloading.

Also, panthers dont really eat greens, its more of a veiled thing.

How are you supplementing?

What lighting are you using?

hes uses rep cal calcium with d3 2 times a month and herptivite multivitamins 2 time also we where told to buy him calcium with out d3 and give that to him every feeding is this true? he feed him mealworms from time to time as a treat he calls it lol

yes, you need a calcium without d3 for every feeding.

What else is he feeding him besides the mealworms?

wax worms and we just order some roaches but for most part he gets crickets is there a good gut load out there to buy (only ask because i spend atleast 3hrs a day on my reef tank its really hard for me to find time to add something else to make):eek: i plan on breeding my own crickets here soon buying them every week gets old and cost alot haha (its funny how dad gets to do the hard stuff while son enjoys ) ;)

You can get commercial gutloads which are good, many keepers here use the Repashy bug burger, which is a powder that you mix with water, heat and leave to cool, and end up with a jello-like block which provides good gutload, as well as some hydration. Another one people use is Cricket Crack, which I believe is a dry gutload, so you'd need to offer something for hydration, either water-crystal things or slices of orange or similar (here's a link, the Repashy dry gutload is Superload: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/dietary-supplements/insect-gut-loads.html I can't recommend Repashy products highly enough, they are incredible). Can't give them a water dish or anything like that because they are suicidal little things!

Roaches are a good staple feeder, as are crickets and silkworms.

And not really on store bought gutloads.

but really, if you do the grocery shopping, you can get the stuff to feed them too.

I use carrots, squash, oranges, apples, mustard greens, collard greens, dandilion leaves, bell peppers, and a bunch of other stuff, fresh fruits too.

you can look for sandrachameleons blogs, and just get the fresh stuff from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom