HELP -- New to chams

TortoiseAvenger

Hello:

Although I am new to chameleons, I'm not new to exotic pets. I have had geckos and saltwater aquarium successfully for quite some time. I am interested in getting a chameleon, but I'm not terribly interested in the common ones recommended for beginners. Is there a Cham that is a little bit more different that still wouldn't be impossible to care for?

Also, I am noticing a lot of the more interesting chameleons have a lot of color on them. How does this affect the color change according to the mood environment of the Cham? Are there certain species that change color the most? Maybe a Cham that mostly has uniform color all over that changes color a lot?

In addition, down the road I might want to breed cams. I know breeding commonly available Cams is tricky, because it can be hard to find homes for them since they are available in so many places. Is there a breed of cam that fits the rest of my requirements but also might be in higher demand?

Finally, what kind of daily upkeep is required? I found a lot of information on how to construct a habitat and how to feed etc. but I haven't found much on what is going to be required of me every day. I work from home, and I have quite a bit of time, but sometimes I have bad days. I'm wondering how much poop there is going to be to clean out and how much daily maintenance is required. For comparison, I found my geckos to be incredibly easy to care for. In a well planted tank, I hardly ever had to clean up poop. It seemed to always fall in the plants and probably did them well. Is this going to be the same or similar? I plan on having lots of real plants in the enclosure.

Thank you all for your time,

Nicholas

As far as exotics go, I only have a chameleon, so I can't really compare it to any other reptile, or an aquarium. However I can say that they are awesome pets, and keeping them is a great project for hobbyists.

Usually, the more colourful the chameleon, the more popular. Typically, males are more colourful than females, and are easier to care for as they do not require egg laying bins and the added nutritional requirements. Panther chameleons are very popular, and come in a large variety of locales all with their own distinct colours and patterns. Veileds are very colourful (as males) have a cool looking casque, but seem to be the most readily available.

I've never breed chameleons before, but every article I've read about the topic seems to suggest that it's not a very lucrative project, unless you have many established breeding pairs. Chameleon eggs take forever to hatch too (most being around 8 - 14 months).

If you seriously want to to get into breeding a special breed that many people love, but are not as common - look into parsoni. Reknown for their size, a change in laws has made the price for these beauties sky rocket. You can expect to pay anywhere between $1500 to $3000 for one animal.

Chameleons are unlike any other pet. Fortunately, this website has every little bit of information you could hope for. All you need is some time to research, and the money to fork out. Best of luck on your endeavours!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Hi there. For daily care, check out Olimpia's blog, specifically this post about the time it took her every day:

http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/03/average-time-i-spend-on-my-chameleons.html

Parsonii is a very tricky species, from what I understand, and should not be taken on lightly or as a first cham in any case.

I do not have any input on breeding as I just got my first chameleon and have not learned that much about breeding. I think it would be hard to break even with chameleons.

I am interested in getting a chameleon, but I'm not terribly interested in the common ones recommended for beginners. Is there a Cham that is a little bit more different that still wouldn't be impossible to care for?

Also, I am noticing a lot of the more interesting chameleons have a lot of color on them. How does this affect the color change according to the mood environment of the Cham? Are there certain species that change color the most? Maybe a Cham that mostly has uniform color all over that changes color a lot?

In addition, down the road I might want to breed cams. I know breeding commonly available Cams is tricky, because it can be hard to find homes for them since they are available in so many places. Is there a breed of cam that fits the rest of my requirements but also might be in higher demand?

Finally, what kind of daily upkeep is required? I found a lot of information on how to construct a habitat and how to feed etc. but I haven't found much on what is going to be required of me every day. I work from home, and I have quite a bit of time, but sometimes I have bad days. I'm wondering how much poop there is going to be to clean out and how much daily maintenance is required. For comparison, I found my geckos to be incredibly easy to care for. In a well planted tank, I hardly ever had to clean up poop. It seemed to always fall in the plants and probably did them well. Is this going to be the same or similar? I plan on having lots of real plants in the enclosure.

Thank you all for your time,

Nicholas

It would help us recommend (or not) a different species if we knew a bit more about what appeals to you and what sort of environment you can provide for a cham. I don't know how much reading you've done online or in the currently available books, but looking at lots of pictures of the different species may give you a better idea which ones intrigue you more than others.

Panthers, veileds, and Oustalet's are pretty tolerant of warmer temps and dry indoor conditions. Montane species such as jacksoni, and fischeri will require cooler house temps (especially at night) and higher humidity than the "usual beginner species" which is why they can be tougher for newbies to deal with. Their setups can also be more expensive to build if you happen to live in a region with hot summers or dry indoor conditions. Some species are a lot more active than others, so the size of the cage space you can give them will make a difference too. Oustaleti get larger than the others. Meller's are also very large and prefer to be free ranged.

Males of many species tend to be brighter colored, but the females of some species such as carpets display brilliant colors when they are gravid (so it is hormonal, not just emotional). Each species can only show a specific range of markings and colors, but they are so different it's hard to explain easily. Some species are so reactive that their color shifts all the time (deremensis) even though the degree of color variation is a lot more subtle compared to a panther for example. All chams display quieter colors when they are contented, established, and calm. Very basically, the more stressy and emotional your cham is, the more color change it will tend to display. This isn't always a good thing, as stress will take a toll on its health, and chams like this are not very tolerant of their keepers. Color isn't the only thing that gives some species a unique look. Some montane species may not show a huge variety in color, but they have interesting horns, rostral processes, crests, or body shape instead.

Once you get your cage setup working the way you want, the daily requirements are not that great. If you put your lighting on timers, use an automated misting system (may not be necessary if you are home every day). You may actually spend more time dealing with your feeder insect colonies than the cham's setup. A healthy adult cham eats once a day or every other day, so they don't produce a lot of feces. Caring for dozens of crickets, hundreds of roaches, silkworms, hornworms, etc. does take regular attention. The cham's cage plants will need watering, feeding, pruning, or adjustments to the drainage to keep the plants healthy. The cage won't be all that hard to keep clean.

Amazing chamelion purchasing experience!

Eric Thompson, you rock! Your incredible patience with all my many questions (that you answered so well) sure impressed me! You sold me a beautiful, friendly little panther! I am so excited! Sir, you get a 10/10!

Back
Top Bottom