Hornworm cocoons?

Ronandex317

So I bought a couple hornworms from my local pet store, and they were both cocoons. I don't have a tomato plant to breed, but can I feed the moths to my Cham? She's only about 4 months old and I have no idea how large the moths will be or if she can eat them

They will have about a 4 inch wingspan or around there when they hatch out. To give you an idea of how big they are going to be, here is a picture of my adult panther chameleon eating one....

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/nom-nom-nom.42856/

As for how to store them.... I keep mine in a container on a piece of wet paper towel because if they are not kept moist, it can make the wings become a little deformed when it hatches (not that it matters a WHOLE LOT if you are only using them to feed off).

Typically they will hatch in about a month or so... assuming they don't go into diapause. Then they can take forever. I had some hornworms back in March and some of them cocooned, then hatched within a month. All except for one. I STILL HAVE THAT ONE from that batch back in March and it still hasn't hatched because SOMEHOW, it went into diapause. I don't know why, because it was kept under the same bulb as all the other ones for 14 hours a day to make them hatch faster, yet this one didn't come out. The rest of them all popped out within a month and this other one I have just keeps on sleeping. It still wiggles itself though every time I touch it so I know the thing is still alive...... The wait continues.....

Last edited:
They will have about a 4 inch wingspan or around there when they hatch out. To give you an idea of how big they are going to be, here is a picture of my adult panther chameleon eating one....

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/nom-nom-nom.42856/

As for how to store them.... I keep mine in a container on a piece of wet paper towel because if they are not kept moist, it can make the wings become a little deformed when it hatches (not that it matters a WHOLE LOT if you are only using them to feed off).

Typically they will hatch in about a month or so... assuming they don't go into diapause. Then they can take forever. I had some hornworms back in March and some of them cocooned, then hatched within a month. All except for one. I STILL HAVE THAT ONE from that batch back in March and it still hasn't hatched because SOMEHOW, it went into diapause. I don't know why, because it was kept under the same bulb as all the other ones for 14 hours a day to make them hatch faster, yet this one didn't come out. The rest of them all popped out within a month and this other one I have just keeps on sleeping. It still wiggles itself though every time I touch it so I know the thing is still alive...... The wait continues.....
Thank you very much. What temp do they need to be kept at?
But thank you very much for all that info. That really sucks about the one who hatch lol

At 85, you can almost guarantee that you will skip diapause but they'll grow WAY too fast to be feeders for long. I have my first batch of moths now, they are huge! My veilds would probably run and hide from these things but I've heard that they can make great feeders. I hate to admit it but I'm rather fond of my moths, I don't think I could feed them off!
1477702104324-1867325633.jpg

At 85, you can almost guarantee that you will skip diapause but they'll grow WAY too fast to be feeders for long. I have my first batch of moths now, they are huge! My veilds would probably run and hide from these things but I've heard that they can make great feeders. I hate to admit it but I'm rather fond of my moths, I don't think I could feed them off!View attachment 169101
One of mine has hatched and it could eat my vield lol. It's wings are deformed sadly and I don't have a tomatoe plant to breed so I let it. It the scarred all the birds away

Back
Top Bottom