Hornworms HELP

SmokeJoker

I just got some horn worms today and noticed they are a bit big. my cham is about 3-4 months old and the horn worms are like 1-2". I was wondering if chams can still eat the big worms because they are easy to chew or if i should not feed them to my cham.

Thank you,

Zach

I wouldn't risk the 2" ones. My cham is about 4 months, and his can't be but 1/2 inch wide. The rule is that you're not supposed to feed chams anything that's wider than their heads, or a firefly. In my experience, I have seen that they can handle slightly bigger critters, but it's all up to whether or not the cham is going to choke if he/she tries to eat it. I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Horn worms are super squishy critters... So, I don't know which rule(s) of thumb apply. That said, Chameleons can eat pretty large Horn worms relative to their own their size (see picture below). I'd definitely start with some of the smaller ones then slowly work your way up in size.

NOTE: My Chameleon refused to eat the ones that were simply too big.

Thank you for the help. How fast do the hornworms grow? I might keep them for when he gets a bit bigger or I can put a smaller one in his cage and see if he'll eat it.

Back
Top Bottom