how much light is to much?

Chameleo estevez

I recently purchased the exo terra triple compact fixture and placed it on top of an exo terra 36H24W18D enclosure and was wondering if it could possibly be to much light for my panther chameleon. I am using two 6500K CFL's on wither end and a UVb 5.0 in the middle. The chameleon seems to like it and spends more time a pale green with lots of red and at times a dark green and light brown vs before with just the Uvb when he was dark most of the day.
I also have a 150watt ceramic heat bulb and an under tank heater which keeps everything warm.
Has anyone ever had any issues as a result of to much bright day light?

Sounds like you have a nice setup. I use double fixtures and quad fixtures for all my chameleons. I wouldn't think it is too bright as you will never get lighting to be as bright as the sun.

Doesn't sound too bright at all. Personally I would say the ceramic is way too high a wattage really. I manage to get good temperatures with a 60 watt spot bulb. Personally I would use a spot bulb as the light encourages them to bask and is more natural.

You also do not need the heating pad that is the under tank heater. Will do virtually nothing in terms of heating for the chameleon unless it lays directly on it which a healthy chameleon will not.

I recently purchased the exo terra triple compact fixture and placed it on top of an exo terra 36H24W18D enclosure and was wondering if it could possibly be to much light for my panther chameleon. I am using two 6500K CFL's on wither end and a UVb 5.0 in the middle. The chameleon seems to like it and spends more time a pale green with lots of red and at times a dark green and light brown vs before with just the Uvb when he was dark most of the day.
I also have a 150watt ceramic heat bulb and an under tank heater which keeps everything warm.
Has anyone ever had any issues as a result of to much bright day light?

In an indoor captive situation I doubt too much LIGHT is a problem. However, too much heat is. Chams also need at least a 10 degree drop in temp at night so they can rest. And, no visible lighting at night.

Back
Top Bottom