How to tell if hatchling is doing well

MegaMatt

Hi, almost a week ago we had a baby Panther Chameleon hatch and it's absolutely adorable. I have yet to see him eat but I have found some poop in the baby bin so I assume he's eating. My question is how do I tell if he's doing alright? Sometimes his color gets really dark and he just sits with his eyes closed which is concerning because i read Chameleons dont nap during the day. I have uvb, flies, he gets misted morning and night along with bursts of fog from 1am to 6am. Attached are some pictures of him and his poop.
20240817_131138.jpg
20240817_131223.jpg
20240817_131118.jpg
20240817_131032.jpg
20240817_130955.jpg
20240817_130939.jpg

Closed eyes during the day is very bad. Babies have no reserves to fall back on in their little bodies if husbandry is not 100%.

@Camiezone i know you work with babies could you offer some guidance?

While we are waiting on Camie to respond can you share a photo of your whole setup including the lights on top? What is you misting schedule? Do you fog at night? What are night and day temps? Night and day humidity levels? What is your supplementation schedule? Do you have a heat lap?

While we are waiting on Camie to respond can you share a photo of your whole setup including the lights on top? What is you misting schedule? Do you fog at night? What are night and day temps? Night and day humidity levels? What is your supplementation schedule? Do you have a heat lap?
Lights- Reptisun T5 HO 5.0 6" away from top on climbing area and run from 8am to 8pm.

Misting- done by hand and done right after lights on and 30min before lights off.

Temps/heat lamp- no heat lamps are being used this young so his temps are what the house sits at which is about 74 during the day and 68 at night currently.

Supplements- he's only 6 days old so no supplements have been given.

Humidity/fogging- day humidity is 45/50% and night time fluctuates from 70 to 90%. His fogger comes on for 1 minute ever 30 min from 1am to 6am. The reason for the 1 minute run time is it completely fills the bin to the point you can almost not see in.

Attachments

• 20240812_191720.jpg
    20240812_191720.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240812_191712.jpg
    20240812_191712.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 8
@Beman @MissSkittles I have no experience with babies. Can you help possibly ?
Nor do I. Obviously since there is poo, the baby is eating, but it’s important to make sure there is plenty being offered. I only see a few fruit flies and none on the piece of banana. Baby should be eating upwards of 20+ a couple of times a day. @jannb @kinyonga or @SteveH should have some better input than I.

Nor do I. Obviously since there is poo, the baby is eating, but it’s important to make sure there is plenty being offered. I only see a few fruit flies and none on the piece of banana. Baby should be eating upwards of 20+ a couple of times a day. @jannb @kinyonga or @SteveH should have some better input than I.
The picture doesn't show the full amount of flies in the tub. He has well over 20 in with him and ive been adding some every day but I can guarantee he is not eating 40ish a day.

A hatchling chameleon should be fairly active. Eyes should not be shut during the daytime. Some may not eat for the first few days if they have remaining yolk, but in my experience they usually eat quite soon after hatching…and eat quite a bit as well….easily 15 or more pinhead crickets, for example.

They can grow quite quickly if provided all the things they need…proper lighting, food, water, supplements, proper temperature, etc.

I have heard once or twice that if it’s a brand new UVB bulb it can bother their eyes so I’ve always used ones that were not brand new with hatchlings.

@jannb should be able to add to this.

Back
Top Bottom