humidity testers?

Jordantheblind

so i have three different hygrometers in my chams habitat. I have two that are the simple arrow pointing to a relative humidity, they stay fairly similar to each other. But i also have an electric thermometer/hygrometer in there and the electric one is usually way off from the other two.

which one do i trust?

The two dial hygrometers stay no less than 60 per cent humidity, whie i keep an eye on it, the electrc drops into the forties. i do have a large amount of water that collects on the bottom that i clean out regularly, but it becomes a puddle. i feel like that puddle shows that i may be misting to much, but i am scared that the electric hygrometer is more accurate and so I keep on misting like crazy,

my cham doesnt seem to care for he misting. he often runs and hides when i start misting.

any advice?

what size screen cage are you using again, and do you have a lot of plants in it?

The plants help hold the humidity up there. I have noticed the digital is usually different than the analog dials myself.

I mist @ 730am 1pm 5pm for 5 minutes each session.

I also put coconut liner in the bottom of my cage to help keep my humidity up there and stable, so that when I mist I am basically just providing a drinking source. The coconut liner is that stuff you find in open air planters in the garden centers. I know everyone says no to substrate, but this is more or less a thick woven carpet and not going to gt swallowed like dirt or small particulate based substrate.

The puddling is common side effect of misting, that's why you so many of us discussing drainage issues/solutions.

he is in a 65 gal screen terrarium.
i have one large live plant in there and several fakes. the pictures from my other post show the setup.

is there a plactic peice in the bottom like a tub or something?if its screen my suggest building a small box that you can sit the cage on and go buy one of those 10 dollar plastic laundry tubs that you can put in the box to collect all the water would solve your drainge issue right there.

and as for your actuall question im somewhat in the same boat i cant seem to get a good reading out of anything it seems both digital or analog, but mind you ive only used the exoterra digital hygro and one from lowes that was digital as well, the exo terra one was a peice of garbage i was not at all thrilled with that product. The lowes one was alright i guess but doesnt seem to read correctly i find. The anolg one ive been using is from exoterra as well and its telling me solid 60's which i know isnt correct. i hear the one flukers makes are supposed to be a better choice but i havent bothered to go try one out yet so im no help to you there.

there is a plastic bin on the btom. i just keep soaking up the water with a towel every day or so.

i jsut wanted to make sure its humid enough for him. i often mist an entire bottle at one time. it takes him a minute to open his mouth and drink f course. sometimes he doesnt at all and i just feed him through a dropper.

Back
Top Bottom