Ideal Neonate/Baby Care in Aquarium with no drainage :(

jackschamnewbie

I just got two very tiny baby veiled chams yesterday and after an entire night of reading I discovered that they are still too small and young to be placed into the all screen 18x18x30 exo I have. I decided to keep them in the 10 gallon aquarium for the time being.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this and found a way to be sucessful with it?
I am considering using paper towels on the floor for easier clean up. Though I believe an astroturf like material may be more appropriate.

I am misting them 4-5 times/ day and providing basking like off and on in one corner to raise the temps up to 85-88ºF and then let them drop back down. This is helping with humidity as well.

What kinds of things do I need to watch out for and keep a close eye on? As of now I am just nosing it out to smell for stagnant air and bacterial growth though I am aware that not all forms of bacteria have any sort of scent at all... which is very concerning to me.
I do not like using a tank that has no drainage as I do not know how to controll the temps and humidity is such a small enclosure. All of my experience has been with all screen/drain table enclosures which are to big for them to sucessfuly hunt.

Do I need to move them into the cage and start cup feeding or does anyone know how I can make this work?

I've never kept a baby in an all glass cage, my breeder always has his baby veilds in screen (pretty sure since they hatch).

I would think try not to make the cage too wet, I've heard too much humidity and wetness can be just as bad as not enough.

If you could get your hands on a smaller screen cage, I would recommend that, but others might have useful tips for all glass.

As for cup feeding, I would place a shallow dish with whatever feeders you are using in the center (or 2-3 other places) around the cage to allow them multiple places to feed. They are young enough that they should catch on.

IDK if this is helpful in any way --- but congrats on your babies!

I would also watch the paper towels on the bottom of the cage and if they get too wet maybe change them out.

If you have a way to get any live plants that would help with keeping the humidity at the right spot.

When you say tiny, how tiny exactly? I keep neonate chameleons in enclosed cages. I kept Pygmy babies in a small aquarium until they were larger. And currently I have all my panther cham hatchlings in Rubbermaid bins, so similar concept. I actually keep the floor bare and then just wipe out feces once a week or more. Then I don't have to worry about bacteria being able to grow on substrate like paper towels or turf. If you mist so much that it makes puddles then sop up the puddles so they don't sit there or accumulate. I keep a small live plant in my cages and mist primarily on or around that so not much puddles on the floor. Temperatures in that small of an enclosure are going to be hard to control so that's going to be the biggest challenge. Neonates don't need a lot of difference between ambient and basking fortunately so try to focus it on one corner and you may need to use a higher wattage bulb from a longer distance to be able to get a warmer basking spot without heating up the whole cage.

When you say tiny, how tiny exactly? I keep neonate chameleons in enclosed cages. I kept Pygmy babies in a small aquarium until they were larger. And currently I have all my panther cham hatchlings in Rubbermaid bins, so similar concept. I actually keep the floor bare and then just wipe out feces once a week or more. Then I don't have to worry about bacteria being able to grow on substrate like paper towels or turf. If you mist so much that it makes puddles then sop up the puddles so they don't sit there or accumulate. I keep a small live plant in my cages and mist primarily on or around that so not much puddles on the floor. Temperatures in that small of an enclosure are going to be hard to control so that's going to be the biggest challenge. Neonates don't need a lot of difference between ambient and basking fortunately so try to focus it on one corner and you may need to use a higher wattage bulb from a longer distance to be able to get a warmer basking spot without heating up the whole cage.

I have 3 small ferns in there with them right now. The basking light is attached to a standing lamp with a 40w spot bulb. I have it focused on primarily 2 branches as they are both being housed together, and partly on one of the ferns to help with humidity.
I always let the cage and plants dry out before misting again but I really appreciate you advice on the turf and towel breeding ground thing for bacteria.

I'll definitly stay away from that however I worry about them having a reflective glass bottom that they seem to be attracted towards. It is definitly easier to clean and disinfect that way and is only a 9" fall if they get clumsy. I just dont want them to get hurt is all.

Back
Top Bottom