Ideas wanted for elevating plants, please!

Ceycham

Established Member
As part of Norman's new cage build, I've decided to try the easy to clean approach and go almost bare on the bottom. I plan to install a tray under the screen bottom to collect drainage, so I'm thinking of lining the bottom screen with a perforated grass mat (from a dog litter pan) that I can just take out and rinse as needed. I have two pothos plants currently in his enclosure, one of which is planted in a tub of dirt, and the other is still in it's 7 or 8 inch pot. Resting these on the bottom is not ideal, since they will have to be disturbed often to get the mat out for cleaning, and because frankly their vines are needed closer to the top than the bottom, and they won't reach any more.

So, I'm stymied as to how to accomplish this. I've several half baked ideas going on in my skull, but need a fully baked one.

The one I'm entertaining at the moment is to hang them from a nylon macrame type hanger on each side of the cage and tie them together in the middle to center the two plants at mid level. But can that little bit of aluminum screen frame hold all that? I'm also considering laying a metal flat bar (or wood even) across the top and screwing it to that little bit of screen frame on both ends, and bolting couple of hook eyes to it for hanging the plants. But then I have to puncture the screen top...

Ideas anyone?

Look at dragon ledges from Dragon strand. Then look at Bill strands youtube link on cage set up and design. The dragon ledges are the answers to your problems. Trust me.

As part of Norman's new cage build, I've decided to try the easy to clean approach and go almost bare on the bottom. I plan to install a tray under the screen bottom to collect drainage, so I'm thinking of lining the bottom screen with a perforated grass mat (from a dog litter pan) that I can just take out and rinse as needed. I have two pothos plants currently in his enclosure, one of which is planted in a tub of dirt, and the other is still in it's 7 or 8 inch pot. Resting these on the bottom is not ideal, since they will have to be disturbed often to get the mat out for cleaning, and because frankly their vines are needed closer to the top than the bottom, and they won't reach any more.

So, I'm stymied as to how to accomplish this. I've several half baked ideas going on in my skull, but need a fully baked one.

The one I'm entertaining at the moment is to hang them from a nylon macrame type hanger on each side of the cage and tie them together in the middle to center the two plants at mid level. But can that little bit of aluminum screen frame hold all that? I'm also considering laying a metal flat bar (or wood even) across the top and screwing it to that little bit of screen frame on both ends, and bolting couple of hook eyes to it for hanging the plants. But then I have to puncture the screen top...

Ideas anyone?
If you do decide you want to hang the plants, you can put them in pots that have wire hanger hooks attached (get some from garden supplies). You can easily put a metal or wood bar across the top of your screen cage (either on the outside or the inside) as you mentioned to support the weight. If you use wire to suspend the pots, you can usually thread the wire THROUGH the screen mesh without needing to put major holes in it.

Drill thru the metal screen frame on the top panel. Put two eye bolts in. Then use 1/4" aluminum rod cut to size and place in the eye bolts. You can then hang a planted pot off this. So nothing touches the floor. Steve McNary showed me this and it works great.

Drill thru the metal screen frame on the top panel. Put two eye bolts in. Then use 1/4" aluminum rod cut to size and place in the eye bolts. You can then hang a planted pot off this. So nothing touches the floor. Steve McNary showed me this and it works great.

Does the aluminum rod get hot from the lights above?

I use upside down pots that are tall enough to elevate the plants as high as I need them. There are drilled holes around the bases of them to handle drainage. I agree with the above posts suggesting Dragon Ledges. Cheap enough, easy to work with, and make your enclosure so much easier to clean. When I upgrade to atrium cages, I plan on outfitting them with Dragon Ledges.

My only complaint about dragon ledges is the look of metal bars across the sides. I'm mulling over some ideas for using the aluminum frame corners, somehow, to structurally elevate branches and wrapping the vine tendrils around the branches for leafy coverage. I think I am going to like the look of the nylon plant hangers, too, and Norman can climb those which will make them transportationally useful as well, lol. Thanks for the great ideas!

Back when I first started I made a stand out of pvc pipe that went inside the cage and hung the plants on like that and most pothos usually come with a hanger pot so it worked out

EEF3C23D-CBB0-4FA9-8570-58F527B35065.jpeg
I use great stuff pond and stone to hold the pots and the sticks in place.

I used the pond and stone product to cover pots attached to corrugated plastic sheets and hung that from the cage frame at the top with zip ties.
Nothing touches the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_B4 plants.jpg
    IMG_B4 plants.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom