Incubating eggs, need advice please

Roche

Hi Everyone, my chameleon decided to lay her eggs on Thursday evening so they are in the sand but i dont want to take them out, is there anything that i need to do while they stay in the sand? I dug in the sand to find them so i just covered them again with a little sand but she closed them with all the sand again, will they be fine when its time to hatch if they are in the sand?

Are you sure the eggs are fertile? It is a roll of the dice with them in the sand. I know of a big tortoise breeder, he is somewhere in the desert, and when his sulcatas lay eggs he leaves them to hatch on there own. He said he does not have nearly as many that hatch but he says they are strong and have a high survival rate after hatching.

I am not sure if they are fertile, i know if you shine a light they are supposed to have little red veins on them. I tried to look but i am battling to see because they are so small

No she hasn't been with a male in the time that she has been with us which is 5 months. She is a flapnecked chameleon but she is actually wild, we found her in our garden and she has stayed ever since.

If she was found outside and layed outside, I would leave them be. Study the incubation temps and keep some kind of thermometer in the dirt.

On the other hand, how many eggs are there? You could take a couple out to incubate in a controlled climate and leave some in their 'natural' environment. Would be interesting to see what happens.

@Roche since she laid at thrusday morning I would suggest carefully dig them out the sand and put them in the moist vermiculite medium container with lid close depending on the species of the cham with the right incubation temperature range accordingly,then wait to hatch if that is ur idea breeding in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom