Invasive Chamaeleo calyptratus - Florida Population Observations

Umbra

As some of you may have seen from my first thread, I promised to post some of my observations of wild populations here to aid in husbandry, enclosure ideas, and increase the amount of data regarding Chamaeleo calyptratus' habitat preferences. Here in Florida, we have an excellent tropical environment that hosts a multitude of invasive species, and several chameleon species (4 that I have found evidence of online, and two that remain to be confirmed). I am a herper, (as in Herpetology, not the disease🤪 ) and I have had the privilege of becoming adept at finding reptile species and noticing trends when finding them. I wanted to share a few things I have observed in the populations of Veileds that I frequent.

Just as a forewarning for spot poachers, these photos have had their metadata scrubbed, so go do the hard work of finding em' yourself, you bums!

First, lets examine the habitat! The area I hunt in is a Pine Flatwoods, with many Saw Palmettos, in a highly developed, urban area. There is a road nearby with a high level of traffic and light. This particular environment has been invaded by dense bushes of Brazilian Peppertrees and vast swathes of Creeper vines that choke out everything. There are many young oak trees as well, but they have been stunted by the Creeper Vines. I find babies exclusively in the Peppertree, usually in somewhat close proximity to a singular adult. I'm presuming this is the mother, who has laid close by, since they don't seem to move trees very often and if they do, they rarely move beyond a few specific trees/foliage, likely to avoid territorial disputes, which I have seen at least once. I rarely find adults cohabiting or even residing in the Peppertrees. I mostly find the adults in young Oaks, or 40 feet up in the Pines. This is often quite a hilarious sight, as they hang out on the ends of the Pine branches, presumably to mimic pinecone clusters (below) and they stick out like a sore thumb, they try their best! One thing I have found particularly notable is the lack of Chams in the Creeper vines, I assume they do use them to travel between trees, but they never hang out in them, regardless of how thick they are. I find this puzzling, as you would think it'd be perfect habitat (but hey, i'm no Chameleon so what do I know). Another thing I noticed is their enjoyment of air plants, and they will reside in close proximity to them if not on top of them at times.

1727711495660.png
1727712447360.png
veiled 3.jpg

Temperature and humidity conditions are extremely tropical apart from the day. The peak of the afternoon is usually around 50% humidity and blazing hot (85+ F) this time of year. In the evening, the humidity rises to the high 80s, sometimes peaking at 90% after rain. I have noticed the Veileds inhabit the thickest parts of the foliage and canopies in the day, and go to the mid-to-outer edges at night. Light showers are commonplace in Florida summertime, and they usually receive rain in the evenings, with a light sprinkle that usually rolls in around 10 PM-12 AM. During these night rains, they wake up and begin moving to the top of their trees or branches, almost to the point of outstretching as if they are trying to catch raindrops. Some wait for the drops to fall down the leaves, some sleep through it, but most move up and outwards (like the individual in the 3rd picture, taken during a light shower around 10). The babies are especially prone to this behavior.

Regarding their diurnality, I usually begin my Chameleon hunts at dark, as one must use powerful flashlights to differentiate them from the trees in the wild, (of course, I try to limit illuminating them as to not wake any sleepers!) but one thing I have noticed that seems to contradict everything I have read is a lot of activity and movement of the chameleons at night, especially around 8-11 PM, presumably as they settle in and hide. I often catch babies mid-walk, and the larger adults are often asleep, but I do see them on the prowl as well. I believe this is only possible due to the high levels of light pollution in the area alongside noise pollution from traffic.

Regarding their sociality, I have noticed that while the large males and females reside by themselves in their own trees, the smaller males and females do intermingle, I have found up to 4 females in one lone oak tree, all within a few branches of each other taking a nap (unfortunately did not have the foresight to take pictures). I also have noticed that males and female mating pairs will reside in the same tree for quite a while. I have observed a mating pair, walked away for several hours, and upon my return, they were still hanging out on the same limb sleeping. I can't tell if this was a post-naughty time nap, or the female Veiled being cornered by the male, too terrified after their ordeal to escape. Another thing that is interesting regarding this specific population is the lack of fear they have regarding humans. I have observed a surprising calmness of these wild guys when being handled. Often, a person can extend their arm out to the chameleon slowly, and they will simply just walk onto you, and climb up to the top of your head to overlook their kingdom. I've definitely never done this though, as that would count as capturing them, then making them illegal to re-release per state law 🤐. The males are more resistant to this, but the females and babies do not care at all, and show no stress until their desired paths are restricted or halted. My theory as to why they don't care about human interaction is that they are in extremely close proximity to humans (there are neighborhoods bordering their habitat, and there's likely other herpers coming to check em out as this population is fairly well-known).

In terms of diet, there is a massive amount of crickets, stick bugs, mantids, palmetto bugs, and caterpillar species. I observed young silkworms munching on red mulberry leaves as well, so its good to see that their captive diet is the same as what they find in the wild. They have one surprising main food source though: Brown Anoles. I have observed them "lining up" on the small anoles that reside with them in the treetops, and there is a massive availability for the Veileds to feed on, even the babies can eat the hatchlings as they are the perfect size. I think that this may be the reason why they get so large at this spot. The treetop-dwelling males are easily 24", if not bigger, at one point I was even questioning if there was another species amongst the Veileds because of how large they can get!

In terms of coloration/morph, this population has a good amount of variety, it seems that the original breeding group was a combination of True Blue and Orange (also known as Sunrises). They have since interbred and mixed, but occasionally you will see purer oranges, and blues that are so neon blue, they reflect in the light (see if you can find the blue one in the pic below).

Veiled 2.jpg

That is all I have for now regarding this invasive Veiled Population here in Florida! Check back with me in the future, as I am on the hunt for more species! Panther Chameleon observations coming this weekend hopefully! If you have any leads on populations of any other species, please PM me! Your secrets are safe with me, and I don't fear illegal ranchers (they can try to shoot me, but they better not miss, because I sure won't 🤠). Please let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 1727712455395.png
    1727712455395.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Very cool and interesting, especially about how they do move around during the night. Have you looked at the creeper vines? The vining plants around my yard are always covered with biting ants, so I wonder if that might be a deterrent for the veileds.
Besides panthers, what other chameleons are supposed to be wild here? Oustelet’s used to have a good population, or so I’ve heard. I don’t think there’s any left though. I can’t imagine that Jackson’s would survive this heat and humidity, but one never knows. Happy herping! :)

Thanks for the summary of what is going on in Florida with regards to invasive Chamaeleo calyptratus.

I am looking for posts about other invasive Chameleon species in Florida.

Floridians did not listen to Californians about all the resources it takes to control invasive species about a decade ago. Californians had invasive species introduced to their waterways in the 1960's and have been dealing with them ever since.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Very cool and interesting, especially about how they do move around during the night. Have you looked at the creeper vines? The vining plants around my yard are always covered with biting ants, so I wonder if that might be a deterrent for the veileds.
Besides panthers, what other chameleons are supposed to be wild here? Oustelet’s used to have a good population, or so I’ve heard. I don’t think there’s any left though. I can’t imagine that Jackson’s would survive this heat and humidity, but one never knows. Happy herping! :)
That’s where I started looking at first, but I haven’t found them in the creeper vines. They are in relatively close proximity though, so I bet they use them to get around. There haven’t been public sightings of Oustelets for a while. You’re likely right about Jacksons unfortunately. I have heard rumors of oustelets and one about a mellers, but it’s hard to say. I’m going over old records of pet shops to check locations that may have escapees due to negligence in the past. The residents that live near this veiled population aren’t even aware of it for the most part, it’s easy for them to go unnoticed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some leftover populations, thought to be dead, that are still around.

Thanks for the summary of what is going on in Florida with regards to invasive Chamaeleo calyptratus.

I am looking for posts about other invasive Chameleon species in Florida.

Floridians did not listen to Californians about all the resources it takes to control invasive species about a decade ago. Californians had invasive species introduced to their waterways in the 1960's and have been dealing with them ever since.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Indeed, hindsight is 20/20. All we can do now is pick up the pieces, I hope that we will learn from CA's successes and shortcomings! Hawaii's management has already been a valuable tool to us already regarding pheromonal trap baiting, so I am sure all three states will learn and grow from each others efforts.

Back
Top Bottom