is apple cider trap safe inside cage

grccola

I have a gnat problem and want to know if is safe to put a apple cider trap with cling wrap on top inside the cage

Consider adding in a butterwort. They are carnivorous plants which will love to help you with your gnat problems.
The leaves are sticky, but not so much that they would make a mess of your chameleon like a sundew would. I keep mine in an area of the cage where it gets mist (distilled/RO only for butterworts) and where it is unlikely to get pooped on.

Although I need to ask what kind of chameleon are you keeping? Pygmy chameleons are small enough that the sticky may be an issue. I am not sure about that at their size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 215
I have a 7 month old pather so he is getting big so thanks for the butterwort info

I have not heard of an apple cider trap so can't say either way on that one, but I was pretty happy to have an excuse to integrate carnivorous plants in my enclosure and it has worked well. You'll have no problems between a butterwort and a panther chameleon. The flowers are really pretty too so there is a bonus.
Bill

What kind of gnats are they?

Fungus gnats are not as attracted to that as fruit flys.

I have tried cider, vinegar, etc. and found that red wine works best for friut flies.
Fungus gnats, that come from soil in potted plants are not very attrated to it, and they are harder to get rid of.

I had to get rid of all my house plants because I was infested with them.

I tried everything on the market to rid myself of the pests, and they do go away for a while, but they always came back!! :mad:

If they are fungus gnats, coming from your house plants, just put a 1/2'' layer of sand on top of each pot to cover the soil with it.
The gnats dont like it, and it will keep them away.

They are fungas gnats they are coming from my umbrella plant . I used organic soil with sand mixed in then I put sand on top. then put landscaping paper and rocks on the paper .the I potted the plant about 6 weeks ago

When I had a fungus gnat problem I put up one of those sticky traps for flies (OUTSIDE of the cage). It worked great and the gnats eventually went away. Also, I now cover my plants with a half inch layer of sand (covered by river rock) and have not had gnats since.

If you read my post again I clearly say I have a gnat problem

sorry - Somehow i missed that. LOL
apple cider doesnt really help with gnat problems, it works better for fruit flies.

you can stop gnat issues by letting all soil completely dry out between waterings. Or cover the soil with landscape cloth and a layer of river rocks (so that the flies cant get to the soil to lay eggs), and dont keep the soil moist.

Hate to be a buzzkill but even though carnivorous plants do consume bugs, they're horrible at pest control.
I agree with the flypaper outside of the cage. Keeps control of the gnats and won't hurt your lil cham!
If its coming from the pot, make sure you flush it and cover in sand and rocks.

You plants aren't draining well enough.... Re-pot your plants

You are not alone w/ your problem. Below is a "cut and paste" from a thread I commented on just last week. Give it a shot, and I betcha they'll not be a problem anymore.

You are probably getting to much moisture hangin around in the soil. Its not draining good enough, and the gnats are going crazy. I had the same problem early this winter. Repot the plants. You'll probably find that the existing soil is very wet, and possibly a bit stinky. Work as much of the old soil off the plants as you can. Your main objective is for excellent drainage in repotting your umbrellas. Get some play sand, good organic soil / potting mix, and some perilite. I even microwaved the soil prior to doing a 50/50 mix w/ the perilte. Put about a 1" to 2" layer of play sand in the bottom of the pot. Then start with the 50/50 mix of potting soil and perilite. Use the 50/50 mix like you would all the way up to the top of the root ball. Leave about 2" of the pot for another 1.5" or so layer of play sand on top of the 50/50 mix, and then cover the sand w/ a layer of reasonable sized river rock. River rock should be big enough so your cham can't ingest any of the rocks. The 50/50 mix and the sand at the bottom will give adequate drainage so the soil drys out, and the sand at the top will keep the gnats from getting to the soil. Since I did this, I've had ZERO gnats.

Back
Top Bottom