Is my chameleon okay?

aedandell

Hi, i’ve owned my three month old chameleon for 2 weeks now, he’s eating fine and i see him drink off of the plants in the enclosure, however, he’s been quite a dark colour for the last week. I’ve heard about how it’s bad for chameleons to be a dark colour and was wondering if everyone’s okay with mine, the basking temperature is around 28°C
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello and welcome. I believe you need a full husbandry review of your cage, etc. Beman is the best advisor for that. I dont have the questionairre. The fake plants need to go and siince your baby is so young you might add small Bend a Branch on amazon from flukers. Have au cleared perch area 6-8 inches below the basking light. You need to take temp at dlifferent areas in the cage. With three sides solid, i am wondering if lack of air circulstion may be an issue. i hope the front doors are screen. My cham would get brown when hunting and he may be preparing to molt. At that young age they molt a lot. you should post before pics so we can see the color change. also, are you hand misting? What is the humidity and what supplements are you using and when . If you get your husbandry right from the beginning it will be best for your sweet little one to grow up strong and healthy. Color changes can be an emotional response so you have to learn what your little one is saying. When my big boy gets polka dots, i know he is mad. The darker the dots the angrier he is! Lol.

Hi and welcome. :) I’ll add the husbandry review questions for you. I would like to see more pics of your cutie, specifically with the tail out as straight as possible. You say “he” but I’m wondering if you have a “she”. It’s best to figure it out early so you can be prepared if you need to follow girl husbandry. Btw, being dark usually means they are trying to soak up more heat and/or uvb.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom