Jackson Chameleon drinking concern?

Andrew27

I have never really seen my chameleon drink before. I use to use a dripper, but it kept breaking, so I will get a new one once I get the money. For now I am just spraying. I did the shower method. She seemed to love it because she looked relaxed but still didnt drink. I even spray her and drip water directly on her nose, she just doesnt want to drink. Her urates are perfectly white, and poop is brown. so that is good. Her eyes are not sunken in at all, so I know she is not dehyrated. Do they hydrate from their skin or something? I have never seen her drink but she still isnt dehydrated. Also, when I put her in the shower, she kept puffing out her eyes and putting them in the water. After the shower, they returned to normal. Was she cleaning them? If you guys have any tricks to hydrate her let me know.

I have never really seen my chameleon drink before. I use to use a dripper, but it kept breaking, so I will get a new one once I get the money. For now I am just spraying. I did the shower method. She seemed to love it because she looked relaxed but still didnt drink. I even spray her and drip water directly on her nose, she just doesnt want to drink. Her urates are perfectly white, and poop is brown. so that is good. Her eyes are not sunken in at all, so I know she is not dehyrated. Do they hydrate from their skin or something? I have never seen her drink but she still isnt dehydrated. Also, when I put her in the shower, she kept puffing out her eyes and putting them in the water. After the shower, they returned to normal. Was she cleaning them? If you guys have any tricks to hydrate her let me know.

if the urates are nice white she is hydraited...period.. they are very sneaky lizards and some you will never see drink or eat (even though they poop, and the poops are healthy)..also yes, when they do what i call alien eye (puffs all huge and moves around) they are cleaning thier eyes out, like how we rub our eyes..if you never see her drink but get worried about hydraition, giver her some hornworms..also when you feed hornworms dont be afraid when the first poo comes out liquidy (they are just jam packed with hydraition)...

Yeah some like to drink in private. Just keep an eye on her urate. Many times with Jacksons it may take 5 minutes of straight mistings before they get interested and start drinking. For sure get some kind of dripper going ASAP. You can even create your own. Just use a milk jug and poke some tiny holes in it and let the water slowly drip. You need to have the dripper going all hours of the day.

And also, YES, they can hydrate themselves through their skin.

I have always thought this might be the case. Do you have any research to prove this? I would love to be able to feel better when one of mine doesn't seem to drink.

She may be drinking when you leave / arent looking.
If you dont want to buy a dripper, you can just use a needle to poke a hole (or two) in the bottom of a plastic container.

Well...actually....I think everything hydrates through their skin to some degree. I understand that chameleon skin is more water resistant than human skin, but I still think that any land animal with hydration issues could benefit from their skin being soaked in water.

Well...actually....I think everything hydrates through their skin to some degree. I understand that chameleon skin is more water resistant than human skin, but I still think that any land animal with hydration issues could benefit from their skin being soaked in water.

well if that is the case, then I will feel better cause my one guy barely drinks and it drives me crazy!

Back
Top Bottom