Jackson is Lethargic

tris182

Not sure if I'm paranoid, or if there could be a problem, but here's my info.

Your Chameleon - Jackson, Male, appx. 8-9 months old, I've had him for about 3 months
Handling -Very rarely, maybe two times since I got him, but the problem did start a day or so after the 2nd time.
Feeding - He gets 5-8 medium sized crickets everyday, I lightly dust them with Calcium without D3 every other feeding. They are gutloaded with greens
Supplements - Flukers calcium without D3
Watering -I mist him 5-6 times daily, about a minute per session and I have a dripper going for when I'm away at work
Fecal Description - Seems to be normal. White urate, fecal matter is solid brown. It does seem to be large, but I'm not 100% what the "normal" size would be considered.
History -Since I've had him, he has always been healthy. The eye thing only started in the past week or so. I mainly give him crickets since they're most available, but I did notice it started after I had given him mealworms. I'm not sure that has anything to do with this though.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - all mesh open air enclosure 24x24x48
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 flourescent bulb. Basking is a regular 60 watt housebulb. I also have a plant light to help with the plant, as the one before it was suffering due to lack of light. They run 12 hours on, 12 off on a timer.
Temperature - 65 in the lowest part of the cage, 81 at the basking site. Readings taken with a digital thermometer
Humidity -45-70 depending on time of day and whether or not I've just misted. I have a cool mist humidifier on low during the day, readings taken on a digital hygrometer
Plants - I have a large umbrella tree in there with him.
Placement - Roughly a foot off the ground. The cage is in the basement, away from windows and outside lighting or drafts.
Location - I live in Denver Colorado

Current Problem - He's been EXTREMELY legthargic. I know they're a "lazier" breed, but he has been in the same spot for 3 days now, right under the basking area. His coloring has also been a bit off, he's a little darker. What I noticed first is that he was sitting with his eyes closed. He wasn't sleeping, just sitting with them closed. When I'd approach the cage, he'd open them and them close them again. I did longer mistings to see if he needed to clean them out, and it's improved a little, but I just want to be sure. Also, he looks rather bloaty. That could just be the way he's sitting though. He just doesn't seem like he feels all that great. If it comes down to it, we don't have a lot of retile vets in the area that I know of. What would you suggest as far as that goes?

Thank you all.

photo.jpg

photo1.JPG

I would say ditch the mealworms as they have to hard of a outer coating for Jackson's to really digest well so that could be part of the problem and u can stimulate him trying to poop by shower

That temp is ok but it needs to get more like 85 for basking and digesting food properly. I would suggest spraying for 5 mins instead of only 1. You need to go to the vet asap. SHOWER HIM ASAP he is prolly dehydrated. Do you have substrate at the bottom he could have ingested? PM me if you want i can help you as much as i can

and i suggest getting him near a window so he can have real sunlight. and taking him out inside of his cage to have some sunlight

Your Chameleon - Jackson, Male, appx. 8-9 months old, I've had him for about 3 months
Handling -Very rarely, maybe two times since I got him, but the problem did start a day or so after the 2nd time.
Feeding - He gets 5-8 medium sized crickets everyday, I lightly dust them with Calcium without D3 every other feeding. They are gutloaded with greens
Watering -I mist him 5-6 times daily, about a minute per session and I have a dripper going for when I'm away at work
Fecal Description - Seems to be normal. White urate, fecal matter is solid brown. It does seem to be large, but I'm not 100% what the "normal" size would be considered.
History -Since I've had him, he has always been healthy. The eye thing only started in the past week or so. I mainly give him crickets since they're most available, but I did notice it started after I had given him mealworms. I'm not sure that has anything to do with this though.

Cage Info:
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 flourescent bulb. Basking is a regular 60 watt housebulb. I also have a plant light to help with the plant, as the one before it was suffering due to lack of light. They run 12 hours on, 12 off on a timer.
Temperature - 65 in the lowest part of the cage, 81 at the basking site. Readings taken with a digital thermometer
Humidity -45-70 depending on time of day and whether or not I've just misted. I have a cool mist humidifier on low during the day, readings taken on a digital hygrometer
Placement - Roughly a foot off the ground. The cage is in the basement, away from windows and outside lighting or drafts.

Current Problem - He's been EXTREMELY legthargic. I know they're a "lazier" breed, but he has been in the same spot for 3 days now, right under the basking area. His coloring has also been a bit off, he's a little darker. What I noticed first is that he was sitting with his eyes closed. He wasn't sleeping, just sitting with them closed. When I'd approach the cage, he'd open them and them close them again. I did longer mistings to see if he needed to clean them out, and it's improved a little, but I just want to be sure. Also, he looks rather bloaty. That could just be the way he's sitting though. He just doesn't seem like he feels all that great. If it comes down to it, we don't have a lot of retile vets in the area that I know of. What would you suggest as far as that goes?

Thank you all.

View attachment 55620

View attachment 55621

Your basking temp is fine so don't change that. Like stated it could be impaction from mealworms which would cause the "bloating". Has he eaten or drinking recently? Also like said give him a nice shower for hydration and some natural sunlight. What are you gutloading with? I feel that dusting every other feeding is too much as Jackson's can be over supplemented very easily

He has been drinking off and on and he eats slower than he used to. I gutload with carrots and potatos. I saw on a blog here that they were decent to use. I can adjust the dusting schedule and see if that helps. I appreciate the tips, thank you!

He has been drinking off and on and he eats slower than he used to. I gutload with carrots and potatos. I saw on a blog here that they were decent to use. I can adjust the dusting schedule and see if that helps. I appreciate the tips, thank you!

I would use a little carrot and no potato. Adding things like mustard green, oranges, little apple, arugula, etc. Sandrachameleon had a good blog on things to use

NOOO its NOT normal. and i would suggest you just bring him to a vet already

What greens? Id recommend getting a good dry gutload, like cricket crack, as well as adding some squash, and oranges to the gutload at least. Cricket Crack can be bought from TkiTiki.
Youll also need a multivitamin, given every 6 weeks. Rep-Cal's Herptivite is what I would recommend. This could be the cause of his lethargy.(if he has gone without it)
A dripper going during the day is great. He will need longer, and therefore likely fewer mistings a day. Three five minute mistings should suffice. You want to keep it wet, and humid, but have it completely dry out between these mistings.
Doubtful, although Id also recommend either not feeding the meal worms, or only feeding them very sparingly, like one a week at most.

Cage Info:

Thank you all.

View attachment 55620

View attachment 55621

I would suggest going to any vet that will see him.
This is imperative IMO, he likely has/is developing an infection. The sooner its addressed, the better his chances are.
The thing is, you may have to take control of his care, and supersede what the vet "thinks" and ORDER a test done.(this is what I had to do) The test you need done is a throat swab. This will show any respiratory infections. These test are not cheap, usually around $200.00, the meds will be around $20, if he has an infection.

Heres some veterinarian care info for chameleons, if you, or the vet think he/she is unqualified, have them read it. Any vet should be able to run swab/fecal/blood test, if you require it. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/88297453/Veterinary-Management-of-Chameleons

You also need to address whatever caused the infection in the first place though, if it is in fact infection.

What type of basement are we talking about? A finished basement thats climate controlled? Or more of a cellar(damp, and stagnant air)? If the latter, fungal infection could be the issue. I know nothing about fungal infections though.

Im not sure what has caused the issue, but I definitely recommend a vet visit.

mine moves about all day and tries to escape to see my female jack. mean while my female jackson just roams around on her branches. she makes a path she follows everyday. she is a busy busy bee

This is absolutely not true. All my Jackson's are very active. My xantholophus almost never stops moving during the day.

When my jackson is healthy, she is very active as well.

My panther is more active, but only slightly.

Being inactive is a sign of something being wrong.

I gave him a shower and have taken him out to get some sun the past couple of days. He's doing much much better now. He does laps around his cage and is more alert. I'm going to start feeding him some different, more appropriate worms. Thanks all for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom