Jerry loves fruit! Is that ok??

aluhrs

My veiled chameleon Jerry is obsessed with fruit. I usually give him a few bites of strawberry every other day to go with his crickets, but lately I have been giving him raspberries and he loves them! I can barely get the pieces in the cage before he eats them. However, now he is refusing to eat most of his crickets. Is it healthy for him to eat so much fruit? He also loves apples, strawberries, and pears.

I would love for my chams to eat fruit but neither of them will touch it.... you are lucky!

However, you do not want to be substituting fruit for well gut fed insects as your chameleon will soon become deficient.

I would withhold the fruit for a few days and offer nothing but insects until he starts eating them again.

Chameleons can become very very fussy if they find a food stuff that they prefer above all else, but you honestly do not want him to refuse to eat insects at all.

Try more then fruit. I don't have a cham that likes it, so i haven't looked into it, but fruit has a lot of sugar. Maybe some greens and things? Im sure there are pages on here that have healthy plant matter lists. Just make sure you don't feed them tomatoes. Tomatoes are toxic to chams.

Back
Top Bottom