Just a couple of quick Q's...

Wpaoli

So, I got Diego last year in August. Learned a GREAT deal from the members of the board, so thank you all first and foremost. He's doing great... save for waking us up in the morning by digging at the bottom and clawing his way up the screen (?).

Anyway...

We're getting ready to upgradre his apartment to a 48x24x24 this weekend and I have a few questions:

1. What are some good, tall plants I can put in there with him? I've been using pothos by the dozens, but they seem die after a month-- probably due to over watering, or what I think is probably a lack of sunlight. In any case, he gets a new one every month :) So, what can I put in there with him that he'll enjoy? He LOVES to climb and walk around... prefers to spend his nights on a downward slant. Ideas?

2. How do I keep these damn plants alive? The cage is not by a window that gets direct sunlight, and the ones that do get too much people traffick for him to be so chill. So the question is: what lighting systems can I use to make sure these things live without blinding Diego's little old eyes?

Any advice would be most welcome.

THANKS!

P.s. Diego is named after Diego Forlan- the BEST striker you've never heard about. Pic on the left from when he was new- pic on the right he is 11 months.

Attachments

• Diego- Aug 2010.jpg
    Diego- Aug 2010.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Diego June 2010.jpg
    Diego June 2010.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Ficus and shefflera(aka aboricola or dwarf umbrella) they both have vertical sturdy branches that he would enjoy. I have never used a grow light but I know others have and they use a 6500K that can be purchased at home depot. Home depot or Lowes also carries these plants. Those two plants are also cham safe, as the Veilds like to munch on their enclosure plants! Also, Diego is a handsome fella!

he is a very nice green!

on my set up i have an additional gro lux bulb, i havent had my pothos for a month yet but ive seen a little bit of growth already so maybe look into adding a grow light of some sort.

i originally had a pretty bushy schefflera but just today i took it out and replaced it with a much taller less bushy one. i got the taller one at walmart, so maybe look for one of those.

i should also mention, i have had a hard time finding a small tree that is tall enough without putting something under it or a tree that is short enough to where i wouldnt have to cut off most of the top. so my new scheff is like 30 inches or so and then i set that on a mini milk crate type thing and it gets it right about where i want it, so maybe dont over look shorter trees, just put something under it?

is your pothos hanging or sitting at the bottom? that might have something to do with it dying but i dont know much about plants. when i repotted my plants all of them have rocks on the bottom, some soil in the middle and rocks at the top to help them not get over watered (so much.. im sure they would do with much less but its an imperfect world.)

i had a little hibiscus but even with the grow light i didnt have much luck, it was blooming really nice for a couple days then all the leaves died more or less so for now i stuck it back outside to see if itll come back to life.

good luck, im sure he will love his new place!

yeah Ben, Hibiscus are super hard to keep indoors. Most of the flowering plants just dont do that well indoors besides Orchids maybe. i have lots of hibiscus in my yard here in Florida and have tried to keep them on my patio and they don't do as well even in there as compared to outdoors.

i read they were hard to keep but it was 5 dollars so i had to try it out.

i build an outdoor cage last night so if it blooms again ill probably leave it outside for that.

Back
Top Bottom