Lactulose

Hey everyone!
I fed Herbie a hawk moth and it was obviously a little big but he ate it and liked it! But now I’m afraid that he’s a little constipated. I’ve given him lactulose 10 ml once per day for the past 3 days and still nothing. It’s been almost 2 weeks. I called the vet and they are completely booked for the whole month of September. Should I increase his doses two twice per day?

Stop giving the lactulose, there is no reason to do so in this case and it might actually be harmful. Large meals like this may take longer to digest-it's no problem :) . If he is eating and otherwise healthy, no big deal. Are you sure he didn't poop already? Lactulose isn't a totally benign thing either-we use it in people with liver failure and even they don't enjoy taking it. I'm not sure what species of chameleon you have either but 10mL is a lot and you run the risk of aspiration by giving anything by syringe. Lactulose tends to be prescription only, so I'm not sure how you came across it. Whatever the case, no need to give it at all in this circumstance, but kudos to you for being so diligent about your chameleon's health. If you can, I would recommend discussing things like this with a vet moving forward, it's a bummer they're booked so far in advance.

Stop giving the lactulose, there is no reason to do so in this case and it might actually be harmful. Large meals like this may take longer to digest-it's no problem :) . If he is eating and otherwise healthy, no big deal. Are you sure he didn't poop already? Lactulose isn't a totally benign thing either-we use it in people with liver failure and even they don't enjoy taking it. I'm not sure what species of chameleon you have either but 10mL is a lot and you run the risk of aspiration by giving anything by syringe. Lactulose tends to be prescription only, so I'm not sure how you came across it. Whatever the case, no need to give it at all in this circumstance, but kudos to you for being so diligent about your chameleon's health. If you can, I would recommend discussing things like this with a vet moving forward, it's a bummer they're booked so far in advance.

Well said. Too much lactulose and the Cham might need a butt bag and electrolyte protocol.

Nothing seems out of the ordinary here imo. Cham’s can take a long time in between pooping, especially with larger meals. Good hydration/health and there shouldn’t be any problems with impaction.

I agree with both members above... If you are worried that your cham has not passed a fecal then you give soft bodied insects like hornworms or silkworms. You also make sure you have a dripper running during the day so they can drink more. More than likely he has and you just have not found it in the plants. But giving them something like what you are can cause harm and is not recommended.

Oh jeez thanks you guys! The vet told me to give this if he’s constipated so I’ve been sometimes giving it to him if he doesn’t go for a while. Poor thing I hope he’s alright 😭 I will increase his dripper and fogger tonight. He’s been eating silkworms

I’m not trying to go against the vet’s medical advice, I just think the time frame you listed and situation doesn’t necessarily warrant medication. It is kind of odd to me that stool wasn’t passed with lactulose, any chance you could have missed it? Could be liquid.

I’m not trying to go against the vet’s medical advice, I just think the time frame you listed and situation doesn’t necessarily warrant medication. It is kind of odd to me that stool wasn’t passed with lactulose, any chance you could have missed it? Could be liquid.
That’s honestly why im a bit concerned too. And yes I’m like 99% sure nothing has passed.

Ah okay I’ve been giving him .10 mL so a very small dose not 10 mL

Back
Top Bottom