larger food=more interest?

l0u1ss

I have 6 month old panther. He's rather shy, doesn't like me in his enclosure too often, runs away from me, that kind of thing. He doesn't make very sudden movements at all when I'm in his cage trying to feed him, unless…. its for larger prey. Most feeders I offer he will run to the back of his cage and come back and eat them once the coast is clear or move very very slowly toward them and eat them after a long while. He acts totally different toward large insects. Like I said he's only 6 months so I usually offer him medium sized everything. Occasionally you get the larger one mixed in and he seems to appreciate these a lot more. Large crickets,hornworms, and dubias he will actually come running toward me when he notices their size. I don't know if a larger insect triggers more of a feeding response , some type of instinctual, "eat the larger one, next meal might not be for a while" type of deal. Or, maybe, he just likes larger bugs, I don't know. Thought id share :)

It might be as you think, it could also be he feels fuller off the larger ones. As long as they are size appropriate for him, use the larger ones.
Kath.

My male veiled likes to eat larger food opposed to smaller. put small crickets in there he dont bat an eye at them. put large ones in there and he goes crazy for them wheres my female is the opposite. He also loves chasing tree frogs, fish, fiddler crabs, and crawl fish.. mind you hes has ate every one of those i didnt think it was gonna happen. i was afraid about the fiddlers but things worked out good but the crawl fish... man i had a panic attack i watched him for days to make sure he passed the exoskeleton... i thought i was going to the vet for sure.

i watched him for days to make sure he passed the exoskeleton... i thought i was going to the vet for sure.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
why would you even try giving him that then?

why would you even try giving him that then?

it wasnt ment to be food i was experimenting with a vivarium with diffrent creatures in a habitat i wasnt expecting the chamel to go for a swim and make dinner out of them. it just happend. trust me i havent added anything else like those to the tank since. i would like to try a day gecko once i build a bigger habitat but idk if ill ever attempt that its a big risk after knowimg my guys a glutton.

Back
Top Bottom