Leave him alone or push the issue

luvzebra3

So I attempted to put my hand near my little 3 month old veiled and he turned a beutiful black and green, and actually reared up and lunged at me! A few times! I kinda thought it was funny but my question is do I then leave him alone or do I continue to try to get him on my hand? I am used to working with dogs & cats and I don't want to "encourage" the aggressiveness by leaving when he acts that way - the way it does in those species. Are chams the same way or should I just leave him be?

leave him alone.
he isnt like a dog where you are reinforcing the 'bad' behavior.
to show him you arent a bad thing, try hand feeding him with his favorit bugs.

I have been doing that, he hasn't taken anything from me yet, but I can get pretty close to him. I needed to clean off his favorite plant today and attempted to move him out of his enclosure. Again, he only let me get so close then BAM!

its a waiting game. and sometimes, it just doesnt work.
try going at him from underneath him.
or hold a stick infront of him, and encourage him by pushing his butt to climb onto the stick you are holding.. and let him climb onto your hand from there.

or get some work gloves to prevent the biting from hurting.
:p

My female let me touch and hold her until she was about three-four months. Then one day, as I had her on my shirt walking around she bit the crap out of my ear. Since I didn't want to react and hurt her, I just resolved myself to the fact that she doesn't like being touched. Probably a mistake, but it was pre-cham forum and one of the care books said that veileds were usually untamable...

My little dude did the same thing when I tried to wake him up the other day. I was also wondering if its bad to leave them alone after they're aggressive like that. Since that happened he seems extra wary of me, so I've been trying to leave him alone for a couple days and show him that I'm the one who gives him food and water. Hopefully he'll understand that I'm not a threat and start to be friendlier. Like others have said on here try and come at him from below and move super slowly. They freak out a lot more if you just go charging in and start poking them and stuff. Good luck getting your little dude to love you again :p

Back
Top Bottom