Legs on grasshoppers

CryptKeeper

Established Member
Do you guys rip the legs off grasshoppers when you use them as feeders? Today I noticed just how dangerous they probably are going down my chams throat. I was throwing away a leg and try going against the spine and wow they’re like fish hooks.

Also today I fed my Cham a really large one (which he’s fine with he can put down almost any large insect) but he caught it on a weird angle almost in the middle and I’m not sure if it bit him but he hissed and turned his head fast to chomp down on him and then lost the bottom half of the hoppers body in the cage lol. He seemed fine and ate a smaller one right after that and a silk worm so I’m not worried but I’m thinking ripping the legs off is a smart move. I saw a bunch of posts on Reddit about it but haven’t talked about it here or checked the forums yet either

Good to know. Any certain way you do it? Those things are strong when they jump haha
Oh my gosh they totally are. I just hold them in my fingers one at a time and take off the back legs. It takes a minute longer to prep my chams meals when I feed hoppers and I feel mean doing it but it’s the only way I feel comfortable feeding hoppers to my chams.

Sad John Cena GIF

Omg! Seriously? What have I done? I’m waiting on a few dozen hoppers that I ordered. I was thinking of breeding my own if my animals like them. Even though they’re icky bugs, I don’t know that I have it in me to remove their legs. Do you still remove them even if the grasshoppers are small? Like 1 cm up to 1 inch? I just might end up with pet grasshoppers. Oh Lordy.

You only remove the hopper legs. If you pinch them with your tongs or tweezers right at the joint by their abdomen they basically fall right off. I usually try to catch them this way right out of the enclosure I keep them in. Most times you can get the 2nd leg before even taking them out OR they go into a cup where I can grab the other as they no longer can jump very well already missing one. It's incredibly easy. Just have an empty cup or garbage can nearby for the removed hind legs.

@MissSkittles I wouldn't panic too much, I believe that if you give yourself time to get used to them then with some exposure they won't bother you as much anymore. That was the situation with me, I would scream every time a hopper jumped or got on me, I couldn't touch them with my hands and had to use tongs....and literally this morning when i was feeding my hoppers one jumped on my shoulder and it didn't bother me at all. Just give it time. They will wiggle their way into your big wonderful heart just like all the other critters ❤️

Sad John Cena GIF

Omg! Seriously? What have I done? I’m waiting on a few dozen hoppers that I ordered. I was thinking of breeding my own if my animals like them. Even though they’re icky bugs, I don’t know that I have it in me to remove their legs. Do you still remove them even if the grasshoppers are small? Like 1 cm up to 1 inch? I just might end up with pet grasshoppers. Oh Lordy.

To start I would only remove the hind legs from the larger species (genus Schistocerca). When/if smaller grasshoppers species start to concern you then remove the smaller grasshoppers back legs. Removing legs is important health concern when feeding your reptiles grasshoppers. However grasshoppers happen to be one of chameleons favorite and important food sources. That makes feeding grasshoppers appropriately an important issues.

Grasshoppers are a natural food for chameleons. Keepers just have got to take care when feeding them out to chameleons in captivity.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom