Leopard gecko bioactive

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
After much thought and seeing how my male leopard gecko ’digs’ under his paper towel substrate, I’ve finally decided to dip a toe into setting up a bioactive enclosure. Using an Exo Terra wide large tank (36x18x18) with Bio Dude Terra Sahara substrate, succulents and cork bark hides. Have collembola sp springtails, powder orange, zebra and giant canyon isopods. Am going to wait a little before putting my little guy in it...give the plants and cuc time to acclimatize. Was going for an eroded hillside kind of look.
137BDF3C-1027-4B71-BD97-D6770DA4F47D.jpeg
FBDC43FC-810A-401D-A7F2-E7B9F46AB4F7.jpeg
47FE9180-3969-4CD5-B9D0-61D1DF19B463.jpeg

As I was cleaning up, I found a few small pieces of driftwood I had forgotten all about. Didn’t change much of the look so keeping the first pics.

I’m thinking about getting this for my Leo but nothing can be done till my arm heals. My husband won’t help me because he doesn’t want to get dirty :rolleyes: Never marry city boys 0C0506F3-9400-4D27-85F2-959BE161CFC7.png

That looks awesome!! I love the pencil cactus thingy (that's a technical term)!! Little one will love it! How are you approaching belly heat?
Thanks! The cork is perfect! It makes 2 hides and some added walking area. The isopods were very happy to be released from their container. Thanks so much for them! :love: Using a traditional heat mat and built in a hide with foam. Have the soil angled down to it and just a thin layer in it so he can get his belly and body toasty warm. I was lucky to have found the pencil cactus and all the others at Home Depot. I bought a desert rose and had really wanted to use it, but it’s too tall. It will fit nicely in the 29 gal tank I hope to make into a bioactive for the lady Leo.

Those powder orange will reproduce really quickly. They're very active, also, so if you're guy is fast enough, he'll have plenty of high-calcium snacks in no time!! I put them in Clarice's cage because they're the only ones that are fast enough, and reproduce fast enough that she can't eat them all!

If they do take off in numbers, you might want to thin them out if he doesn't do it naturally, and throw in a little piece of food maybe once a week or twice a month for the isopods. Low numbers will be ok but the powder orange have ferocious appetites in my experience.

I’m thinking about getting this for my Leo but nothing can be done till my arm heals. My husband won’t help me because he doesn’t want to get dirty :rolleyes: Never marry city boysView attachment 257302
That is a really nice looking kit! I was initially going to go for a rocky desert look but it’s beyond my skills right now. Hopefully your arm will be healing up soon.
Ya...I’m a country-raised tom girl/woman and will never stop loving playing in the dirt.:ROFLMAO:

Those powder orange will reproduce really quickly. They're very active, also, so if you're guy is fast enough, he'll have plenty of high-calcium snacks in no time!! I put them in Clarice's cage because they're the only ones that are fast enough, and reproduce fast enough that she can't eat them all!

If they do take off in numbers, you might want to thin them out if he doesn't do it naturally, and throw in a little piece of food maybe once a week or twice a month for the isopods. Low numbers will be ok but the powder orange have ferocious appetites in my experience.
My male is pretty slow and hesitant about eating. Fussy little guy. I did get some Morning Wood and brewer’s yeast to feed the cuc until there’s enough stuff to sustain them. Wondering if I can toss some superworms and mealworm beetles in there too. I came across some info that had all sorts of buggies living in the tank.

Thanks! Love that name! Still haven’t yet named my leos...can’t find names that fit.
I thought of the name when I was driving to get her. I love geek mythology and the idea of yelling “ who let pandora out the box” but I never let her out soooo lol

That is a really nice looking kit! I was initially going to go for a rocky desert look but it’s beyond my skills right now. Hopefully your arm will be healing up soon.
Ya...I’m a country-raised tom girl/woman and will never stop loving playing in the dirt.:ROFLMAO:
I’ve been trying to figure out the perfect set up for her I would like to add more enrichment for her so I can see her more often. I only see her on feeding days.

Back
Top Bottom