Lethargic Veiled

monram

Here's some info to start off with:

* Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon. Could be 6 months? She has been in my care for about 2 weeks.
* Handling - About once a day, I'll leave the cage open sometimes and she'll walk on my hand or floor for about 10 minutes and then I put her back. The past few days she hasn't wanted to come out.
* Feeding - I feed her about 6-10 crickets a day and recently have been feeding her 1-2 Superworms. I gutload crickets with kale and collared greens. I feed her around dinnertime, which I now know isn't good and she should be fed earlier in the day for light to help digestion, so I will change that.
* Supplements - I sprinkle Repticalcium without D3 on her crickets every day and Reptivite every other Sunday.
* Watering - I spray water with Reptisafe on the leaves any time I see some has evaporated or it seems a bit dry. I used to see her drink every day, but now when I spray her she kind of opens her mouth like when humans do when they are tasting something.
* Fecal Description - Urate is white while bowel movements are brown. She used to have a bowel movement every day or every other day but it has been 4 days since her last movement. Has not been tested for worms in stool.
* History - Got her from petsmart and thought she was a boy and a year old

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Zoo Med Starter Kit. Screen cage. 16x16x30
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 100 Watt ZooMed Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb for heat. Turn on lights around 7:30 am but she's usually awake by then and turned off around 7-8 pm (whenever she is curled up)
* Temperature - Basking spot is around 85 F and cage floor is around 79 F. Lowest overnight temp is about 72 F. I have a digital thermometer that came with starter kit.
* Humidity - I need to get a humidity monitor, but leaves in cage always have water. Wanting a real plant to keep it more humid.
* Plants - No live plants yet, but fake ones from the pet store. Planning on getting a real one soon.
* Placement - My cage on living room floor. Not by any fans or air vents or high traffic areas.
* Location - Arizona

Now to the issue I'm seeing. She hasnt passed stool for about 4 days and that worries me because she has eaten about 10 crickets a day and used to daily. When she is laying on a branch basking, she closes her eyes and lays her head down on the branch. I've only seen her do that when she's sleeping. I put in about 8 crickets today and I free range them because she likes to hunt, but she only ate the ones that came to her and crawled up on the screen and were closeby. Normally she gets up and walks around the cage to find them. Right now there are still 2 running around but she's just chilling on the same branch. When she got up a bit to walk lower on the branch she seemed very lethargic as well. I scheduled a vet appointment on Wednesday because that's the soonest they could get me in for this and also for a general check up. Here is her current position:
image.jpeg

I would offer her a long, warm shower and see if it stimulates her bowels. 30 mins to an hour is what I mean by long. Her cage should be up on a stand, so they can be above your eyelevel. Her cage also looks sparse, but your parameters seem good. She does appear as though she may be a bit dehydrated. I also am not what sure what you mean about keeping the leaves with water on them at all times, as she should should not be kept in an overly wet environment. The things I mentioned are general care recommendations and likely aren't your problem. If she hasn't passed stool, she may be constipated. She may have eaten something from the false foliage.
Good luck with the vet.

Looks dehydrated :( do you have a lay bin set up for her? Females lay infertile clutches of eggs from as early as 4-7 months old. If she does not have a proper place to lay them, she can become egg bound and die. Good luck at the vet!(y)

Back
Top Bottom