Lighting T5 6% or 12%

dave9992

Hi. I'm in the process off making a larger viv for my young veiled (my first). The dimensions are 32"Wx32"Hx16"D. With the base it stands over 6ft high. So I'm trying to decide the best lighting to go for. I like the look of the Arcadia T5 bulbs but I'm not sure whether to go for the 6% or the 12% bulb with or without a reflector. The lights will be on the inside of the unit so no mesh to pass through. I have included some tech info on both bulbs below. I'm thinking the 12% might be a bit much with no screen to pass through. Am I best with the 6%? :)

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=98&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=97&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

I'd hit up Todd with lightyourreptiles.com
But without any way to raise them up I'd go with the 6%

I hung my tube fixtures with screw in plant hooks in the ceiling and nylon rope,

some fixtures have holes for actual mounting. There is always a way to hang lighting at least in this modern world

I use the 12% with reflector but above screen. I would say go for the 6% with reflector. i only go for 12% when the light has to go through screen. As said always use a reflector. The arcadia T5 bulbs are great and give off loads of light and loads of Uv. You wont be dissapointed!

Cheers guys. I was thinking along the same lines. Since I'm a total newbie I always like to check these things out. :)

I have ordered the T5 6% with the twin controller and a tropical pro bulb for the plants. I will post some pics when I'm finished making the viv. Thats if I don't cock it up. :eek:

just got my arcadia's this week, i love em. if you have a solormeter and can measure and adjust the light accordinly to get the uvb u desire than the 12% is the way to go, if you do not have a solormeter stick to the 6% as the 12% are DAMMM! strong.:)
ill be doing a thread this week to show em off ;)

Im using a rather large reptarium and the mesh is thicker than the normal screen cage. and i really want these new arcadia bulbs to brighten things up. so would the 12% be right for me considering the thicker screen? and this would be replacing the normal uvb bulb correct?

Ask Todd at lightyourreptiles, he is soooo nice and super helpful, I had about a zillion lighting questions and he was able to answer all of them, and was extremely knowledgeable, he also has other stuff that he might recomend thats not listed on his site :)

well... I guess I should get on the ball and weigh in here....

:D
LOL

IF your lights are sitting right down on or near the screen and your chams hang close to the fixtures .... say between 6" - say.... 18" , you can go with the 6% and that would be just PERFECT.

Hoj is right...

THE T5 12% HO Arcadias are "KER-POW" in UV out-put...

And the 12% T8's (reg out-put) have some kick, too.

So to be safe:

IF you are using ANY 10% to 12% bulbs, I highly recommend investing in a Solarmeter.

Yep.. Solarmeters are expensive.
BUT if you have cages where YOU CAN HANG AND ADJUST THE LIGHT DISTANCE...
You can use a 12% HO fixture and Arcadia HO T5 12% and hang it up over the whole enclosure around 18" - 24" and measure the UV to the basking spot(s).

If it is good, say 30 - 60 microwatts per centimeter square to a basking spot(s), go with it. Or adjust as needed.
(More or less tailored to your species of cham... remember. :) )

Then simply measure every 2 mo. or so and move the fixture down 3 or 4 inches over a period of 12 months to a year and MORE.

A set up like that I guarantee will pay for itself.
(Instead of tossing those Exo teara bulbs out every 6 mo.)

So, as a recap:
If there is no hanging room to suspend a fixture and adjust, and if you do not have a Solarmeter (yet :p ) to double check...
you still would be perfectly fine using the 6% bulb.

Arcadias ARE the finest reptile bulbs in the world.
Yes... some others are good, too. (Full disclosure: I do sell Rept Sun too and they are OK.)

I say this: I HAD to get them to sell.
I have been doing herps since the late 70's. (yep... I am old as dirt)
And I knew of the Arcadia reputation in UK and Europe.

But I pestered (LOL :p) Arcadia for 6 months to start shipping me those bulbs so LightYourReptiles.com could start making Arcadia bulbs available in North America.
Because I wanted to offer what I believe is truly the best.
From one of the best companies in the pet industry, Arcadia.
I am glad my friends at Arcadia went along with 'ol Todd here.;)

They are also starting to convert over some of their 220v European lighting products to work in US and Canada on 110v 60Hz.
There will be more cool quality stuff on the way.
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4&lan=en

Cheers, and feel free to e-mail with any questions.
I HAVE A SPEC SHEET OF SOLARMETER READINGS OF THE ARCADIA T5 BULBS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE WHO E-MAILS ME. Taken with and without screening. oh yea. :cool:
Sincerely,
Todd
[email protected]

I almost forgot....do you live in the Boston Area?

oh geez.... can I do this?
mods... please don't spank me.
:eek:

LYR has picked up an Arcadia Retailer in the Boston area and they are stocking all sizes of Arcadia bulbs including the T5's:

It’s a Pets World
147 Bridge St
Weymouth MA 02191

The lady Michelle who owns it is super cool and gets it for sure.:D

Back
Top Bottom