LLL Reptile Drainage trays

yankfanthom

Established Member
Is anyone using these? I'm having major issues with drainage and I can see the point of them but I don't see how they would get drained other than drilling into them and putting in pvc pipe. I don't want to lift my cages every day to slide this thing out and then put it back. Anyone have any insight???

They are definitely worth the $. I have 6 of them and appreciate them every day! You do have to put the drain in and run tubing into a container below.

They are definitely worth the $. I have 6 of them and appreciate them every day!

How do you drain them? Do you remove them from under the cage? I'm not sure I really get how they function without even a drainage valve or something to hook up to it.

I use these they are great. I siphon out the water every couple days (or as needed) with a length of rubber tubing.

I have the same style trays under both my enclosures with a AquaZamp and RainDome doing the misting. Here is a picture of the under side of my stand that the cages and drainage trays sit on.

You just buy the largest fitting that you want (the bigger the better, IMO) and match the bottom to a piece of 1/2 or 5/8" pvc pipe. Cut the hole in the bottom of the tray on one end or the other (I chose the left side on one and the right on the other) that's why the oval hole in the wood works so well. Just make sure that the hole that you cut is SMALLER than the inside of the fitting that you choose and use some pvc glue to stick it on underneath side of the tray. The pvc pipe fits tight enough in the fitting without any glue to hold it there. I raise the ends of both cages to allow gravity to drain the water towards the middle of the cage stands and down through the pipe into a 5 gallon bucket underneath.

It works very well for me............easy-peasy

P1080817.jpg

Hopefully the picture speaks better than my typed out words do.......:)

Last edited:
I use these they are great. I siphon out the water every couple days (or as needed) with a length of rubber tubing.

That could work!! I didn't even think of that. I can get even a battery operated one thats used for like kerosene heaters. will these work for any size cages of the same specs or just the LLL cages. I have some reptibreezeand DIY cages in the mix.

I still say the drain table with PVC liner is a better choice, especially if you have many cages. You can make 2 drain tables 4feet long for around $40 each holding 4 full size adult cages and never have to worry about taking the drain tub off or leakage or any of that. It does take a small amount of mechanical ability and a miter saw. Let me know if you are interested and I can walk you through it.

I have the same style trays under both my enclosures with a AquaZamp and RainDome doing the misting. Here is a picture of the under side of my stand that the cages and drainage trays sit on.

You just buy the largest fitting that you want (the bigger the better, IMO) and match the bottom to a piece of 1/2 or 5/8" pvc pipe. Cut the hole in the bottom of the tray on one end or the other (I chose the left side on one and the right on the other) that's why the oval hole in the wood works so well. Just make sure that the hole that you cut is SMALLER than the inside of the fitting that you choose and use some pvc glue to stick it on underneath side of the tray. The pvc pipe fits tight enough in the fitting without any glue to hold it there. I raise the ends of both cages to allow gravity to drain the water towards the middle of the cage stands and down through the pipe into a 5 gallon bucket underneath.

It works very well for me............easy-peasy

P1080817.jpg

Hopefully the picture speaks better than my typed out words do.......:)

That looks pretty easy but my problem is I have 8 other cages sitting on plastic tables. It would definitely work for the ones I have one the wood shelving I have.

Oops..........I forgot something :eek:

I took the bottom of the cage, which is a piece of pvc also.........I believe and drilled holes from mid-point of the bottom out towards the ends and crossways. It looks like a cross when finished the way I did it. Then I covered the bottom of that with strips of metal screen with a hot glue gun. No crickets can escape.........but water drains through to the cage trays just fine.

I hope this makes sense..........I just hate to do any more work than I have to and THIS is about as easy as it comes......I think.

That looks pretty easy but my problem is I have 8 other cages sitting on plastic tables. It would definitely work for the ones I have one the wood shelving I have.

You would only have to cut the holes out.........just long and wide enough for the fittings that you choose to use. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...............BUT...........if there is an EASY way to do something, it doesn't take me very long to figure it out.

This way allows the GRAVITY to do ALL the work.........and works VERY well. I doubt that I am the first person to do it this way.........but between my Dad and me.............we "Got 'Er Done".

You would only have to cut the holes out.........just long and wide enough for the fittings that you choose to use. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...............BUT...........if there is an EASY way to do something, it doesn't take me very long to figure it out.

This way allows the GRAVITY to do ALL the work.........and works VERY well. I doubt that I am the first person to do it this way.........but between my Dad and me.............we "Got 'Er Done".

I'm thinking about using your idea but instead of PVC piping running straight down I can get rubber hose and feed it to a bucket that way. yeaaaaah thats the ticket! LOL

Do you guys all just use these for the LLL cages or will the water trays work for any cage? ( as long as the dimensions are the same?)

I'm thinking about using your idea but instead of PVC piping running straight down I can get rubber hose and feed it to a bucket that way. yeaaaaah thats the ticket! LOL

That was my original thought too........:)

But with only two cages and both of them sitting on the same rack, I opted to just run them straight down. If your needing to run drainage hose from several tanks to one bucket........the rubber hose will do the trick. :D

Just be sure that the hose fits tightly up into the fitting's and you should be good to go.

Actually.............I purchased the trays from Kevin at AquaZamp. I had to have them special built because the size of the cages that I got from the Kammers aren't standard size dimensions. They sure do look just like the ones from LLL though.........just special sizes.

That was my original thought too........:)

But with only two cages and both of them sitting on the same rack, I opted to just run them straight down. If your needing to run drainage hose from several tanks to one bucket........the rubber hose will do the trick. :D

Just be sure that the hose fits tightly up into the fitting's and you should be good to go.

Do you use the LLL cages too or will any cages of the exact specs fit the trays? Like reptibreeze or DIY? I'm going to order them and take one of the trays up to Lowe's to have them help with the fittings.

Do you use the LLL cages too or will any cages of the exact specs fit the trays? Like reptibreeze or DIY? I'm going to order them and take one of the trays up to Lowe's to have them help with the fittings.

LOL...........I was editing in "forgotten info" while you were posting. :eek:

Re-read my last post.........

I remember seeing a thread of someone who ran them off the back side of the trays so no holes in the table........ here it is....https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-system-71134/?highlight=drainage

I seriously considered this for a while..........but not only do you have to get the inside of the fitting flush with the bottom of the lip when you do it that way to allow good drainage...........you still had to "tilt" the trays forward or rearward depending on where you put the drains in. It was just easier and simpler to do it straight out the bottom with the way mine is set up.

Now.............IF............you didn't want to make the holes in the bottom of the stand that the trays sit on............THAT would be the way to do it.

I'm just lazy.........I guess :eek:

That's not a bad idea either. I'm just concerned with more standing water being the holes are on the sides

However you decide to do it.............just make sure that you leave yourself EASY access to the drains. That way you won't have to do any shuffling around to get to everything. I was also thinking that the drains and drainage lines would be best protected by being underneath the stand.

It would work just fine..........either way..........just make it as easy on yourself as you can. That's my motto. :)

Back
Top Bottom