losing nails

flashjord101

My folks have been taking care of my ambilobe panther chameleon for about 2 mths. He's about 8 mths old. He grew a ton in the last 2 mths that she's taken care of him. He eats well, sheds well, looks great but he's lost 2 nails and the others look very small.

I understand this is probably happening form him climbing the screen cage. I have plenty of climbing areas, but he def climbs the cage a lot This picture was taken outside so he could get a little sun.

How concerned should I be?
what can I do to help him out?
If he loses more nails what are the health concerns?

any advice?

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 188
My folks have been taking care of my ambilobe panther chameleon for about 2 mths. He's about 8 mths old. He grew a ton in the last 2 mths that she's taken care of him. He eats well, sheds well, looks great but he's lost 2 nails and the others look very small.

I understand this is probably happening form him climbing the screen cage. I have plenty of climbing areas, but he def climbs the cage a lot This picture was taken outside so he could get a little sun.

How concerned should I be?
what can I do to help him out?
If he loses more nails what are the health concerns?

any advice?

theres not much you can do about him climbing the screen. give him more areas to grip onto the are the right size, he may stop climbing so much. its ok if he loses a few nails, wont hurt him. even if he lost them all he could probally still climb ok...but really try to avoid that beacuse im not 100% shure. never heard of one loseing all of its nails. :) goodluck:D

just make sure to check the area where the nail is gone so there is not injury or infection that could start. I have seen other members line the inside of the cage with some type of a material that has squares(kinda like chicken wire) but is made out of plastic. This way they grip the plastic and their nails don't get caught in the screen. My chameleon is missing one nail, but that is all he ever lost.

if he loses all nails in the front legs he won't be able to climb the screen anymore, mine lost 2 nails on the front left "hand" and since then he cant use that hand to climb the screen anymore :(

Back
Top Bottom