lump on eye

MrBolt

I have just noticed my baby nosy be has a lump on his eye, he sits scratching it so i guess its irritating him. Any idea? Ive done a bit of searching here and it sounds like skin might of got stuck in his eye? How can i sort it for him? Thanks

Attachments

• 20141121_175457.jpg
    20141121_175457.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 206
The other topic is about my adult ambilobe. Both of them are going through the wars it seems. Ive only just noticed his eye. Oh man, i thought it might be. The vets i have around me dont really have much knowledge of chameleons

Had a result today, hes hopefully cured!. I put a drop of saline in his eye and increased misting. Few hours later he squeezed out a waxy lump!! Eye is back to normal. Going to continue saline once more tomorrow or later today to make sure. But happy chap right now!

Attachments

• 20141122_125941.jpg
    20141122_125941.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20141122_125908.jpg
    20141122_125908.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 195
Yes, that is pus from an infection (reptile pus is more solid than human pus). I would worry that without antibiotics the infection will return. If possible, try to see a vet who can supply an antibiotic treatment. If not, continue with extra mistings for awhile to help continue to flush the eye.

Had a result today, hes hopefully cured!. I put a drop of saline in his eye and increased misting. Few hours later he squeezed out a waxy lump!! Eye is back to normal. Going to continue saline once more tomorrow or later today to make sure. But happy chap right now!

Pus in reptiles and birds looks completely different from pus from mammals. It is solid and waxy.

If you can't find a reptile vet, look for an avian vet. Remember, birds really are dinosaurs. Any avian vet I've dealt with (I have parrots and show chickens) also deals with reptiles.

I don't know about diluted iodine around the eye. I have never heard of an eye wash using iodine.

Ask vet to consider

Diluted Baytril I would suggest a dilution @ 2.5% so 50ml = 1ml to every 17ml of water then I would give 0.1ml of solution every other day.

I would also ask vet to consider clinagel-vet @ Gentamicin 0.30% w/w to be applied to infected eye every day.

Just ask the vet to consider the proposal, do not push for it as vets like GP's rarely respond well to being told there job.

The dilution above is based on 25-30g lizard... so weight is important, the concentration should be worked out on a weight ratio equivalent to that of a domestic cat.

This is from my quarter not an exact science.

Back
Top Bottom