Male chameleon digging

ThumbsChameleon

My baby male chameleon is digging every day. I'm told hes about 6-8 weeks old. I will post pictures of his spurs tomorrow (since looking at similar threads, people are insistent that a digging chameleonis a female).
First off I'm thinking I should alternate when the light is on? I have UVB and heat lamp on 10-11 hours a day (in a row). 60 watt heat lamp and 5.0 UVB.
I mist three times a day.
Although I'm 99% sure he is male, at what age do females start laying eggs?

Help!

Attachments

• 0409141225.jpg
    0409141225.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 226
Please fill out he husbandry form, you can find it under he health clinic sticky. Remove the substrate, you should have a bare bottom or just paper towels. Also, post a bigger picture of your set up as it also looks like you have a water bowl which isn't good.

It would be too young to dig now. But I think you should take picture about his cloaca's area. Spurs have the male veileds, as far as I know.
It is too hot maybe?!:confused:

That is not a good sign. They normally do not spend much time on the ground. There are most likely changes that need to be made in his husbandry. As previously stated, fill out the ask for help questionnaire and post more pictures. That way it is easier for us to help

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 6-8 week veiled, in my care for a week
Handling - once every few days
Feeding - gut loaded small crickets dusted with calcium- as many as he will eat, fifteen plus a day and meal worms. Fed 2-3 times a day
Watering - Mist 2-3 times a day. He laps up water when I mist; no water bowl
Fecal Description - dark brown, soft but hard if that makes sense. Usually yellow or white piece attached to it as well

Cage Type - Combo glass and screen. Ventilated on front and screen top
Light Combo- 60 watt heat bulb and 5.0 UVB reptisun bulbs on 10-11 straight hours a day.
Temperature - Temp gauge in tank. About 70 at floor and 85 in basking spot
Humidity - Humidity gauge in tank, 60-70%
Plants - No live plants. Artificial fern, climbing vines and green moss
Placement - Bottom of cage located about three feet from floor. In a classroom.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Utah

Attachments

• 0407140855.jpg
    0407140855.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 212
Females can lay eggs early, in my experience I have see some as early as 6-7 months. A picture of the foot would be extremely helpful. What are your temps, it may just be too hot

Your parameters look good. One major problem I see is you have no horizontal sticks. You need perches that go from one side to the other, so the cham can climb. That is most likely why he is on the ground. Also add live plants. Your cage needs a lot of work to make it suitable.

Your husbandry needs a bit of upgrading. I recommend getting a screen cage that's a 18x18x36" and in the future a 24x24x48" will be needed. Remove the dirt ASAP as it's a nuisance to clean and can pose health risks. Also are you dusting your feeders? Of your not then your chameleon could form metabolic bone disease. Plus, a live plant along with many branches ande fake vines should be added to make pathways. If that is a water bowl, get rid of it has it also just poses health risks. I understand that this may be much for a class room but you don't want him. Plus, you should add a little more variety to his diet. As for the students keeping their voice down, don't worry to much about that. Chameleons can't hear but can feel vibrations.

I am planning on removing substrate tomorrow. Temps 85 in basking spot, 70 on ground. Bowl seen in first picture holds mealworms. Will post pics of spurs tomorrow :) I just bought more vines to add today. I am definitely planning on upgrading to a large screened enclosure in a few months when he gets a bit larger. What live plants would you suggest? I will post a picture of his revamped enclosure tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help!

Try schefflera or a small ficus. I prefer schefflera because they seem more topical and grow very fast. Are you dusting your feeders?
Edit: I meant to say what brand and what kind of dust are you using.

Sorry about not recognizing he is a veiled! Shame on me!
Post picture about the back feet and the newer enclosure!

Avoid rep cal for with d3 as it has to much but without d3 for rep cal is fine. Look over th veiled caresheet, a link will be on the Lower left bar. For dusting you should have calcium with and without d3 and a multivitamin. The correct schedule for dusting will be in the care sheet under food and nutrition.

I am planning on removing substrate tomorrow. Temps 85 in basking spot, 70 on ground. Bowl seen in first picture holds mealworms. Will post pics of spurs tomorrow :) I just bought more vines to add today. I am definitely planning on upgrading to a large screened enclosure in a few months when he gets a bit larger. What live plants would you suggest? I will post a picture of his revamped enclosure tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help!

i have a pothos. but there are others. idk them. some senior member will have to tell you more.

New set up! Vines from top to bottom. Still on the lookout for live plants. We live in a very small town and rely on Lowes for things like that and they don't have much in at the moment. Took substrate out and replaced it with large bark pieces.

Attachments

• 0412141731a.jpg
    0412141731a.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 174
New set up! Vines from top to bottom. Still on the lookout for live plants. We live in a very small town and rely on Lowes for things like that and they don't have much in at the moment. Took substrate out and replaced it with large bark pieces.

more plants and remove all you have on the bottom

I do believe he is a male :)

He is a cute boy for sure! :)
I don't have any substrate on the bottom either. I would remove everything as well, but I know there are members who never had any problem with substrate.
But he is a baby and they are so curious about everything...at least as long as he is a baby I would remove that.

Back
Top Bottom