Marty needs a little help please...

jglefler

Hello and thank you for this forum. Please forgive me for the lengthy post but I don't want to miss anything that may be needed to help my little boy.

I would appreciate some input on proper care for Marty, my male Veiled Chameleon. Pardon all the detail but I will give a bit of background on him. He is 2 years and 8 months old the best I can tell. I'm not sure of his age because I got him from a pet store. They thought he was 2 or 3 months old when I got him so I am close on his age. I knew very little about chameleons and relied on the pet store for proper housing, feeding, lighting, care info, etc. Turns out they knew almost nothing about chameleons as well. I now know this is typical of pet stores. They even had an incandescent bulb inside the cage with Marty resulting in his little tail getting burned off. Fortunately this healed but now he only has about a 5" tail. Another tragic result of the pet store not having proper lighting, feeder dusting, etc., is Marty had brittle bones. They sold me a glass enclosure, non-UVB lighting, water bowl instead of a dripper... you get the idea. Everything was wrong. The little guy seemed rather shaky and I became concerned so I did some research on the Internet. When I discovered how screwed up the system they sold me was I made them take most of it back and got Marty the proper cage, lighting, etc. Unfortunately he was off to a bad start. He went through things that most chameleons wouldn't have survived over the next few weeks as we nursed him back to health. But, amazingly, he pulled through and has done very well for over two years now.

Marty is an amazing little guy (actually he is quite big now). Once he started feeling better he started begging to come out of his cage. He would reach out and scratch at the cage door or hover off the edge of a vine with his rear feet clinging to the vine as he thrashed at me with his front feet. I would go to the cage and hold out my finger and he would happily climb onto it and come out to play. He would climb around on me, furniture, the floor, bask in front of windows, etc. He seemed to love it and would do this nearly every day. Sometimes he would start begging to come out before I could even get his cage cleaned and get him feed in the morning.

About two months ago he suddenly stopped wanting out. He has gotten lethargic and moves around the cage some but very little compared to what he used to. Around the time this change started he also started to poop about every 10 days instead of every day or two as he used to. He has a dark orange urate, which is no doubt due to dehydration. He never was a great drinker but would usually take 5 or 10 laps of water when I would gently spray the tip of his mouth with water. He stopped wanting water around the same time these other changes started. I have been giving him warm showers as I hold him over the sink to try to get him to poop. I put the faucet on gentle spray and he tolerates it rather well. Sometimes it works but usually does not. I ordered a small artificial tree so I can put him into the shower for 30 minutes or so to see if this gets him drinking and pooping. The tree should be here in a few days. I have been using a hand dripper and hand spray bottle to try to gently wet his mouth and try to get him to drink but he won't. The only way I am getting a little water in him is by turning on his second basking light to raise both sides of the top of the cage to around 85 degrees. He then starts to pant and I sneak up and get a little squirt of water in his mouth before he can close it. He is now getting wise to this game and usually gets his mouth closed before I get to him. I still get him once in a while.

Here is the scary part for me and what I am afraid may be much of the problem. Because Marty had brittle bones from improper care when I got him I was told by another pet store that he needed his crickets dusted with ReptoCal with calcium and D3. While this is true, they lead me to believe this should be done every day. Today as I was trying to find out how I could help Marty with his current problems I discovered this forum. To my horror I see people saying D3 should only be used every other week. Marty has gotten it nearly every day for over 2 years. The only silver lining, perhaps, is he won't eat from a feeder cup. His crickets are free range and he often eats some of them later in the day after most, if not all, of the powder has worn off. He gets 3 crickets per day. He used to eat all three most days. Lately he is still eating well but sometimes will eat every other day or every third day.

His eyes are nice and plump and he looks full and healthy overall. He has a bend in his casque and I don't know if that is from MBD due to not getting D3 along with UVB when he was a baby at the pet store? Or, have I inadvertently caused all sorts of havoc in his body by dusting his feeders every day with calcium containing D3?

From what I can glean here it sounds as if I should dust with a no phosphorus, no D3 calcium every day. Then dust with a D3 calcium every other week. And dust with a vitamin every other week. Is this correct?

Below are the specifications of Marty's husbandry:

> Cage is made of metal screen and measures 18"Deep X 30" Wide X 30" High

> Lighting is one or two 75-watt incandescent basking bulbs (depending on cage temp.) and a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Bulb, which is changed every 6 months. The top vine where Marty spends most of his time varies between about 6" to 8" down from lighting, which goes through screen. Lights are on a timer for 9 hours a day.

> I have overhead heating elements on the top of the cage, which are hooked up to thermostats for nighttime warming of the cage.

> Temperature gradient is about 68 degrees on the bottom, 70 in the center, and 80 on one side and 85 on the other side of the cage top. Overall temperature drops to around 68 degrees at night.

> Crickets are gut loaded with Nature Zone Bites for feeder insects, carrots, and reverse osmosis water. Sometimes Marty likes wax worms, centipedes, and diced peaches.

> Water supply is reverse osmosis in hand pump and well water in dripper since Marty never drinks from dripper. Dripper drips through a grommet hole in the top of cage via tube and runs off artificial leaves into a covered container. I use a hand pump to sprits Marty and his cage leaves, vines, etc. about 6 times per day. A small stone bowel is on the floor of the cage just for humidity. In the winter I struggle to keep the humidity at 30% as I live in a very cold state.

> No substrate on bottom of cage.

> Cage, water bowel, dripper, spritzer, cage floor, everything, gets cleaned every day.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and, again, please forgive me for such a long post.

Thanks,

John

You said you use Nature Zone Bites...I'm not familiar with them...do they have D3, prEformed vitamin A, phosphorus?

You need a vet to tell you what is going on with your chameleon. I can't say for sure that the D3 has caused him problems. It could be a number of things that are causing the problems. All I can do is advise you to take him to a vet.

The ambient seems a little on the low side... but not bad. It is winter so less eating and pooping would be normal. As for D3.... cut back. He eats about as much as my veileds eat.... so it doesn't seem to far off to me. I think you should warm things up a bit.... Basking should be about 90... with a body temp of over 100. Are you using spot lamps or normal house hold lamps? a 75w spot lamp will be a bit overkill...... if it is a flood then sitting about 6-8" from the basking spot should be OK... I would angle it. Don't point the lamp straight down.

is the cage metal screen, or plastic mesh? is the 10.0 a CFL (screw in type) or is it a linear tube?

i would take out the water bowl as well. they wont drink from it. they drink when you mist.

The ambient seems a little on the low side... but not bad. It is winter so less eating and pooping would be normal. As for D3.... cut back. He eats about as much as my veileds eat.... so it doesn't seem to far off to me. I think you should warm things up a bit.... Basking should be about 90... with a body temp of over 100. Are you using spot lamps or normal house hold lamps? a 75w spot lamp will be a bit overkill...... if it is a flood then sitting about 6-8" from the basking spot should be OK... I would angle it. Don't point the lamp straight down.

is the cage metal screen, or plastic mesh? is the 10.0 a CFL (screw in type) or is it a linear tube?

Thanks for the fast responses. The lighting system is a 30" Zoo Med Combination Reptile Hood which accommodates two horizontal incandescent bulbs on one side, one horizontal incandescent bulb on the other side, and one 24" UVB 10.0 linear tube along side the other bulbs. I only use one horizontal (they screw in sideways) incandescent bulb on each side and sometimes I only have one of them on so Marty can have a cool side if he wishes to. The temp may actually be a bit warmer near the top because he starts to pant if I get the temp any higher than it is. I have a digital thermometer in the center of the front side of the metal screen cage and it reads 70 degrees most of the time. The temp near the top of the cage is somewhat higher.

He drank a bit this morning and seems quiet but doing OK. He usually is less active in the winter as he likes to come out when the sun is shinning. I am posting some pictures of Marty as he awakened today and his cage setup. Thanks again for all the kind help.

Attachments

• Marty waking up 2.JPG
    Marty waking up 2.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 214
  • Marty's cage 1.JPG
    Marty's cage 1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Marty's heaters.JPG
    Marty's heaters.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Marty's light.JPG
    Marty's light.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Marty's thermostats.JPG
    Marty's thermostats.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 185
You said you use Nature Zone Bites...I'm not familiar with them...do they have D3, prEformed vitamin A, phosphorus?

You need a vet to tell you what is going on with your chameleon. I can't say for sure that the D3 has caused him problems. It could be a number of things that are causing the problems. All I can do is advise you to take him to a vet.

The Nature Zone Bites seem to hydrate the crickets very well. I have far less dead crickets since I started using it. I also give them RO water and carrots.

Ingredients:
Carrageenan, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, fructose, lechitin, locust bean gum, calcium lactate, spirulina, potassium sorbate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, methylparaben, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1.

Analysis:

Crude protein (min) 1.5%
Crude fat (min) .05%
Crude fiber (max) .45%
Moisture (max) 91.07%

Thanks so much.

It looks like you can use a lot more plants.... Use pothos, spider plants, umbrella plants, or dragon plants or anything off of FLCHAMS safe plant list....... Once you get leafy plants in there he will drink more

i would take out the water bowl as well. they wont drink from it. they drink when you mist.

I clean the bowl every day and put fresh RO water in it only to help with humidity. It is hard to keep the humidity up in this cold climate.

Thanks.

It looks like you can use a lot more plants.... Use pothos, spider plants, umbrella plants, or dragon plants or anything off of FLCHAMS safe plant list....... Once you get leafy plants in there he will drink more

Funny you should mention that as I have been looking around for some plants. I keep seeing comments about which ones are best and dangers of eye injuries from the contents of certain plants weeping after they are bitten into, etc. I have been trying to find somewhere to get him some pesticide free plants that would survive shipping at this time of year. Any suggestions?

BTW. Marty was named after Marty Feldman. If you have ever seen Young Frankenstein you will understand. Google his name and check out the eyes.

Is there a LOWES or HOMEDEPOT near you? because this time of year they have great sales on their plants... I saw a 4' umbrella plant there for 10 bucks.... Thats a killer deal... I would of jumpped on it but its to big for my cage and if I brought that home I would be in trouble LoL... =] So go check LOWES and HOMEDEPOT when you get yur plants wash them really well also repot them in soil that has no fertilizer

BTW. Marty was named after Marty Feldman. If you have ever seen Young Frankenstein you will understand. Google his name and check out the eyes.

aww!
I saw that broadway in new york city!
very very very appropriate name.
:D

Get an umbrella plant!
Schefflara Abricola.

IMHO those look the best in cham condos ;D

You need to gutload your feeders with dark green veggies like kale and collard greens and fruits like apples, pears, and oranges. Here is a chart of veggies and fruits accordig t their ca: phos levels. Keep the ca high and the phos low and stay awayfrom spinach, brocolli, and tomatoes.

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet_ratio.html

he should be in a cage of at least 2x2x4 feet. If you use a water bowl cover the top with screen so he doesn't drink it or fall in. He needs more plants like ficus trees, pothos plants, umbrella plants, and hibiscus plants.

If he seems sick or poorly take him to a chameleon expirienced vet.

Is there a LOWES or HOMEDEPOT near you? because this time of year they have great sales on their plants... I saw a 4' umbrella plant there for 10 bucks.... Thats a killer deal... I would of jumpped on it but its to big for my cage and if I brought that home I would be in trouble LoL... =] So go check LOWES and HOMEDEPOT when you get yur plants wash them really well also repot them in soil that has no fertilizer

Great. I am going out today and see if I can find him an umbrella plant, and some juicy worms. I called the local nursery a few days ago about a Hibiscus plant but they won't have them until the spring. Marty used to like finely chopped broccoli (oops, just saw from a post above to stay away from this) but then started turning up his nose at it. I am going to pick up some mustard greens today and see if he will eat that. I tried collard greens but he wouldn't go for it.

Hi, and welcome. Lowes and Home Depot (or Walmart or Meijers) are probably going to be best for the prices; if you live around the Lansing area, I've often bought plants at Van Atta's - more variety, but pricier. Almost any plant you buy is going to have the risk of pesticides, but the general workaround for that is to wash the plant in the shower (maybe 20 minutes) and repot in fresh soil, covering soil with river rocks (something big that Marty can't accidentally ingest).
Also, if you live around Lansing (or anywhere in mid-Michigan) and if it comes to it, Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic in Williamston has certified reptile vets with chameleon experience - Dr. Wayne Beasley and Dr. Nolan are both good with chams.
My panther chameleon slowed down a good deal between two and three years old, just from getting older (think a thirty or forty year old vs. a teenager), and he also began slowing down much more dramatically in the winter, which hadn't phased him before. He defecates approximately once a week. I guess I'd be most concerned about hydration and orange urates; some chams can be "trained" to drink from a dripper or an eyedropper, and sometimes people have had luck injecting feeder insects with water immediately before feeding.
I use the Nature Zone Cricket Bites, too; they are a sufficient gutload, but I do offer carrots and other things when I have them around (chopped grape, bee pollen, etc.). And my guy stayed on his "baby" supplementation schedule of calcium with D3 every other day 'til he was about two and the vet told me to cut back.
Good luck with Marty and, again, welcome!

Back
Top Bottom