Mbd seems worse! :(

mylittlewholock

I am so worried for my baby :( ...
He Is till drinking A LOT (thank god)
But he won't eat! He won't eat out of my hand any more but whe a cricket comes near him, he tries to get it a few times and if he doesn't get it, he gives up and won't eat it. If he does get it, it just hops out if his mouth. He has eaten a few crickets though, just a few.
You don't know how many pet hospitals I've called. None will take me! They all have a reptile doctor and he is always full! I tell them how important this is and they will not open up a spot for me, or he cancels at the last minute! Lemme just say, I'm furious.
Also, his eyes have been getting swollen or something and will have a big purple bump on the side of his eye. They usually go down in a few minutes.
He falls asleep in my lap and I always cry because I don't want him in pain...
Is it possible to tell whether or not he is close to death?

---

Chameleon- veiled, male, age unknown, been in my care for about 4 months
Handling- about 30 minutes/ an hour a day total
Feeding- 15 or 10 small gut loaded crickets a day, 10 small meal worms a day, have special cricket food and water gel, calcium/vitamin supplement
Watering- mist cage about 5 times a day, couple of sprits (on the walls and leaves), syringe filled with filtered water given to him in drops almost every hour. I do see him drink out of the syringe in my hand each day.
Fecal description- brown in his cage, mint green when I pick him up, a few blue dots, orange spots, not been tested for parasites
History- he has been eating and drinking well, I've noticed that he has been like this for a while, I've been observing him and he is eating and climbing well.
-
Cage- glass cage with screen roof and insulated door
Lighting- do not know the type, UVB light during the day, red night heat lamp and a small towel over half of the cage for the night time
Temperature- day time is usually around 80F, do not know night time, I have a thermometer inside the cage at the bottom
Humidity- kept around 75, spraying the cage with clean water, i have a hydrometer kept at the bottom of the cage.
Placement- on the sink of my bathroom. Bathroom is attached to my room and blocked off with a door.
Location- I am usually in my room with the bathroom door open where I can see my Cham.
Current problem- MBD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 134
Please look at the care sheet under food and nutrition. In order to avoid mbd, chameleons need certain vitamins to help there bones which they get from the sun in the wild but in the pet trade you should use calcium dustbin your feeders. The schedule for Veileds in calcium without d3 every feeding, calcium with d3 twice month and a multivitamin twice a month. A spray on supplement won't do much so please go out a buy calcium with and without d3 and a multivitamin ASAP so you can restore your chameleons health.

I am so worried for my baby :( ...
He Is till drinking A LOT (thank god)
But he won't eat! He won't eat out of my hand any more but whe a cricket comes near him, he tries to get it a few times and if he doesn't get it, he gives up and won't eat it. If he does get it, it just hops out if his mouth. He has eaten a few crickets though, just a few.
You don't know how many pet hospitals I've called. None will take me! They all have a reptile doctor and he is always full! I tell them how important this is and they will not open up a spot for me, or he cancels at the last minute! Lemme just say, I'm furious.
Also, his eyes have been getting swollen or something and will have a big purple bump on the side of his eye. They usually go down in a few minutes.
He falls asleep in my lap and I always cry because I don't want him in pain...
Is it possible to tell whether or not he is close to death?

---

Chameleon- veiled, male, age unknown, been in my care for about 4 months
Handling- about 30 minutes/ an hour a day total
Feeding- 15 or 10 small gut loaded crickets a day, 10 small meal worms a day, have special cricket food and water gel, calcium/vitamin supplement
Watering- mist cage about 5 times a day, couple of sprits (on the walls and leaves), syringe filled with filtered water given to him in drops almost every hour. I do see him drink out of the syringe in my hand each day.
Fecal description- brown in his cage, mint green when I pick him up, a few blue dots, orange spots, not been tested for parasites
History- he has been eating and drinking well, I've noticed that he has been like this for a while, I've been observing him and he is eating and climbing well.
-
Cage- glass cage with screen roof and insulated door
Lighting- do not know the type, UVB light during the day, red night heat lamp and a small towel over half of the cage for the night time
Temperature- day time is usually around 80F, do not know night time, I have a thermometer inside the cage at the bottom
Humidity- kept around 75, spraying the cage with clean water, i have a hydrometer kept at the bottom of the cage.
Placement- on the sink of my bathroom. Bathroom is attached to my room and blocked off with a door.
Location- I am usually in my room with the bathroom door open where I can see my Cham.
Current problem- MBD

Unfortunately his MBD is not reversible, but you can stop it from progressing any further. When you're able to see a vet, X-rays should be done to evaluate his bone density. If you can get a spot into a office... :-/

Ditch the red night light, they don't need it. They need complete darkness to sleep. If it gets cold in your house, use a ceramic heat emitter.

How old is your UVB fixture?

What is the basking light temperature?

It's good to let the humidity drop down and then spike up when you have misted.

You should be dusting his feeders lightly with plain calcium (NO D3) every day. Dust twice a month calcium WITH D3.
Dust twice a month (inbetween your D3 weeks) a multivitamin. Make sure the multivitamin doesn't have D3 in it.

Last edited:
I am confused as to why you are spraying calcium on crickets twice a week as a little over two weeks ago you posted about your chameleon having MBD and you were given a caresheet and what you needed to start doing to help your chameleon. So my question is, how do you expect the MBD to get better if you do not follow the advice given to you???

I am confused as to why you are spraying calcium on crickets twice a week as a little over two weeks ago you posted about your chameleon having MBD and you were given a caresheet and what you needed to start doing to help your chameleon. So my question is, how do you expect the MBD to get better if you do not follow the advice given to you???

I'm having the same thoughts. So frustrating that there have been multiple threads and no advice taken.

I'm having the same thoughts. So frustrating that there have been multiple threads and no advice taken.

I just don't get it. People come on here asking for advice and then don't follow what we tell them. I feel sorry for the poor chameleons.

I just don't get it. People come on here asking for advice and then don't follow what we tell them. I feel sorry for the poor chameleons.

I concur, this is extremely frustrating! I also do not understand why advise is not followed, especially when it comes to supplementation.

Look, this is my first chameleon and no one told me to "dust them". (just to let ya know, I'm not saying this in a mean way in reality) I read on the internet and everywhere just said to put calcium on them. It never said dust or supplement. The people at all the pet stores recommended the supplement. What I meant by spraying them twice a week is (sry I never made this clear) is that they usually die fast (while I feed them and stuff) so I usually get about 30 a week. (15 two times a week) sorry for any confusion and I am still trying my best to do everything that I can.

Sadly pet stores tend to just try and sell sell sell so forget what they tell and listen to the caresheet and get some calcium powders.

Pet stores don't have the knowledge or experience they should have and often misinform people.
The caresheets you was pointed towards cover all the supplementing and dusting schedule, so you was told, unless you chose not to read them.
Sure hope your Cham can make some progress.
Kath.

Back
Top Bottom