Mercury Vapor Lamp

grimlin18

Is it okay to use a mercury vapor lamp for a chameleon enclosure? right now im using a normal basking lamp, but when he out grows it and i up grade to a bigger cage i was thinking of getting mercury vapor lamp.

Its fine for lager enclosures, but you need a uv meter and a laser heat gun. Only buy mega ray brand if you wish to choose that route.

When you say all he has now is a regular heat lamp, you do have an additional UV source
Correct?

I would suggest purchasing a UVB gun as well if using MVBs, adjusting them so they aren't too hot and making sure the chameleon is still getting a good amount of UVB might be hard. I haven't used MVBs since last winter because it gets too hot here, but I did find out that one of the bulbs was putting out low UVB from the get go (and was sent a replacement).

so the uvb gun is to see if hes getting enough uv and the laser heat gun? whats that for?

yeah i have a uvb lamp

laser heat gun is to find out temp, if it gets to hot

i heard the mega ray are pretty good if youu have a really big enlcosure or even free range maybe

but if not then a uvb linear tube is fine and works for sure

all great replies..ive always done large caging or freerange, and have use "grow" lights that where either of mecury vapor or metal hilide..as long as you stay within 175 watts for every 6 foot by 6 foot of space you will be withing resonable heat and safe uvb output..but def get the meters..you dont want to burn your lil buddies!

oh okay then, so then that heat gun wouldnt really be nessacery if i have a couple digital thermometers right? thanks alot by the way.

Yes, digital thermometers work fine too. I use zilla's with a heat and humidity probe. Sometimes it gets too hot in my house so I have to turn the heat source off. UVB lights provide little heat so I leave them on and at least they will still get their UVB. How hot does it get inside your house?

I had a reptileUV metal halide bulb and it works great and animals love to get under it but it is a very strong bulb, I only had a 75w bulb over my cage and it was still to much. I was out of town for two days and the mount must have slipped or been moved and my cham got sun burned. I switched back to a tube 5.0 so that way I dont have any worries. They got a UV bulb diagram on their website that kinda shows what the UV output is at various distances. For a cham I needed about 1.5-2 feet between the bulb and the cham and he has a thick tree to hide in so his light is very broken. I got it about 2 feet over my sulcata with no cover and it comfortable for him but he's a bit thicker skinned than my vielded is.

i have an old lazer temp gauge i used to use for my gas rc cars..it works great for me..

and yes you always want to be able to check the temps exactly where they are like say the basking site..you dont want it over 88 (yes like back to the future marty, lol)..

Back
Top Bottom