Moldy Eggs

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
My gracilior laid her second clutch of eggs for me June 2nd. I checked them the other day and found many were covered in mold. This is her second clutch since she was imported the first week of February. Her first clutch was laid six weeks after import. Both clutches--if they are fertile--are from retained sperm.

How do I deal with the moldy eggs? I carefully scooped out the vermiculite that surrounded the bad eggs. Should I set up a new box and transfer the eggs into fresh vermiculite? Should I be checking the eggs every day?

This clutch was suspect to begin with--it had flattened sides on many of the eggs.

Thanks.

They were probably not fertile to begin with.

As I just posted earlier today on another thread- mold is usually because of 1 of 3 things

1- eggs aren't fertile (and sounds like they weren't "full" to begin with which starts them off as suspect).

2- media is too moist, resulting in eggs that weep and drown and mold

3- organic matter capable of molding is stuck to the eggs- stuff like yolk from an egg that broke when digging them up, lizard poop, that kind of thing.

Don't have any advice other than that. Maybe someone else with different experience will come along. I've never been able to save any once moldy. I have heard of tortoise people saving some of theirs from reason 3, maybe using athletes foot medicine (can't remember for sure that was how).

If you take out the moldy eggs that should be fine for keeping the other eggs ok. As long as the eggs are good that remain of course. Mold probably won't bother the healthy eggs anyway. I leave them in if I'm busy until I have time to take them out. Just remove the infertile moldy egg and toss it.

Also as noted, white fuzzy mold will often grow on organic particles on the eggs but this has never affected hatching for me and I ignore it. There is no need to worry about it because it does not harm the egg itself if the egg is healthy. At least this has been the case for me for years.

Hope you have some fertile eggs and babies soon! :)

If you take out the moldy eggs that should be fine for keeping the other eggs ok. As long as the eggs are good that remain of course. Mold probably won't bother the healthy eggs anyway. I leave them in if I'm busy until I have time to take them out. Just remove the infertile moldy egg and toss it.

Also as noted, white fuzzy mold will often grow on organic particles on the eggs but this has never affected hatching for me and I ignore it. There is no need to worry about it because it does not harm the egg itself if the egg is healthy. At least this has been the case for me for years.

Hope you have some fertile eggs and babies soon! :)

The mold was pretty white fluff--it was quite long and completely covered the egg and surrounding substrate. I've attached a picture of one of the eggs that I left in--you can see some mold growing around it. The pink marks are from a non-toxic Sharpie. I don't like the "moldy" smell in the container.

The eggs were laid in new coco fiber--the kind for reptiles that comes in compressed bricks. I dug them up right after they were laid. I put them in vermiculite 50% water by weight. They were sealed in a container--no air holes.

Nothing contaminated the eggs.

Is this the mold that doesn't affect the eggs? Toss it?

I bred the female to my young male today, so I'm hoping to have a clutch of captive born and bred soon. My first clutch still looks good.

Attachments

• 20150619_183154.jpg
    20150619_183154.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 374

Is this the kind of mold that doesn't affect the hatch? Or are these garbage?

I've pulled all the other eggs out and put in a new container with new substrate. I think only two or three of the whole clutch of 16 look good to my inexperienced eyes.

Attachments

• 20150623_183954.jpg
    20150623_183954.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 489
That is the bad mold for sure. It just happens. Sometimes more or less in each clutch. Infertile eggs mold or as they go bad. I usually get maybe 2-5 from a clutch of 35-40 go bad. Sometimes none are bad, or maybe 10. Life :mad: some people have used athletes foot powder to kill mold, but not really necessary 99% of the time. Just scoop out the moldy eggs and flush or throw away. I use a large spoon. The healthy eggs will protect themselves.

That is the bad mold for sure. It just happens. Sometimes more or less in each clutch. Infertile eggs mold or as they go bad. I usually get maybe 2-5 from a clutch of 35-40 go bad. Sometimes none are bad, or maybe 10. Life :mad: some people have used athletes foot powder to kill mold, but not really necessary 99% of the time. Just scoop out the moldy eggs and flush or throw away. I use a large spoon. The healthy eggs will protect themselves.

Thanks. I thought they were bad. A couple of people--maybe you were one?--have mentioned about mold that just grows on the surface and does not affect the hatch rate. I was hoping it was that kind of mold, but wasn't expecting it to be. I've never seen "moldy" eggs before, so don't know what I'm looking at.

This is her second clutch since she was imported early February and it is from retained sperm if any are fertile. I just hope I get a hatch from the first clutch. The first clutch still look really good (picture attached). They should hatch in about a month, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 20150623_205350.jpg
    20150623_205350.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 496
From my experience, the mold that doesn't affect hatching looks like its radiating out from a nucleus of organic debris on or around the egg. A healthy egg, if I remember correctly, is coated with a protective layer as they are deposited and seem to have a functional immune system as they develop, keeping the mold from taking them over. If the egg appears to be the nucleus the mold is feeding on, then I've found there is little hope. The first clutch looks good. I've still got a reverse trio of graciliors and three eggs from a retained clutch I'm crossing my fingers for. Good luck and keep in touch.

From my experience, the mold that doesn't affect hatching looks like its radiating out from a nucleus of organic debris on or around the egg. A healthy egg, if I remember correctly, is coated with a protective layer as they are deposited and seem to have a functional immune system as they develop, keeping the mold from taking them over. If the egg appears to be the nucleus the mold is feeding on, then I've found there is little hope. The first clutch looks good. I've still got a reverse trio of graciliors and three eggs from a retained clutch I'm crossing my fingers for. Good luck and keep in touch.

Thanks. I was pretty sure they were bad. To be honest, I only have hope for two or three of the clutch . Thankfully, the first clutch looks perfect with the caveat that I have an inexperienced eye.

I did get many breedings over the last week between my gracilior pair , so the next clutch should be fertile. I fear the female is on the older side. No reason, just a gut feeling based on how flaccid her vent is and the artery along her belly making me think she has laid an awful lot of eggs in her life.

Are your graciliors from the recent imports?

I bought my two graciliors somewhat on a whim--I just thought the red nails were so fabulous. I think my male is probably the prettiest quad I have (I have three quad quad males as well.) The gracilior's colors are spectacular--minty green, butter yellow and this vibrant yellow with a bit of vibrant green in it--it's almost neon. He's just gorgeous and so elegant. I was planning to have the one pair of graciliors just for fun--the red nails, love the red nails--but I'm starting to think that the graciliors are just a prettier lizard than the quad quads and may think about concentrating on them more.

Sorry to hear about the second clutch. One of my montium females' second clutch was infertile also. At least we know where we stand and the genetics of the offspring. The first clutch does look outstanding. Congrats and good luck on the matings.

I have a pair that came in on the dec. import and an extra male I purchased from Chuck G.(Heroic Chameleons) which is phenomenally outstanding that he's had for three years. I just hit the 2mos. mark on the three retained clutch eggs and am hoping for the best. Like I said, keep in touch, maybe we can swap bloodlines at some point. The quads are beautiful in their way, gracilior are beautiful in their own. The red nails and grey cloudy look they have is incredible.

I have heard of cases where only one or two eggs survived from a clutch. Some are better than none, I guess. You will appreciate them more at least. I believe to have observed some panthers losing a little more eggs, as they age. Not sure if it due to amount of retained sperm, females age, coincidence, etc... I retire my ladies after 3-4 clutches, so most observations came from friends, my first forays, etc...

Sorry to hear about the second clutch. One of my montium females' second clutch was infertile also. At least we know where we stand and the genetics of the offspring. The first clutch does look outstanding. Congrats and good luck on the matings.

I have a pair that came in on the dec. import and an extra male I purchased from Chuck G.(Heroic Chameleons) which is phenomenally outstanding that he's had for three years. I just hit the 2mos. mark on the three retained clutch eggs and am hoping for the best. Like I said, keep in touch, maybe we can swap bloodlines at some point. The quads are beautiful in their way, gracilior are beautiful in their own. The red nails and grey cloudy look they have is incredible.

I didn't want to attempt a breeding with my male until the female had exhausted her sperm to be clear on the parentage. It is a trade off--wasting 16 eggs that could have been fertile versus bringing in genetics from a male that is not in the US (we hope). I sure hope I get a couple from the second clutch, but I am not very optimistic.

My first clutch was laid almost 3.5 months ago. The picture was taken the day I posted it, so I'm hoping they are all good. My next worry is that I'll kill them because of my inexperience in dealing with neonate montanes. I'm a novice at everything.

Back
Top Bottom