Mopani worms (South African worm) - as feeder insect

Does anyone know if the South African worm, the mopani worm (Gonimbrasia belina) can be used as a feeder? They are edible to humans and I have seen many kinds of birds and other animals eating them when I lived in South Africa.

Having these available for chameleon owners could potentially revolutionize chameleon keeping! These worms eats a vast variety of foods and have plump juicy bodies. They also reproduce easily and in large numbers!

How about it forum members, let's make this happen and bring more variety to our lovely reptile children!

My first concern is that these caterpillars have hairs on them, right? I've never held one, but I wonder if they would be something that could irritate the chameleon. Often those hairs can get stuck in or cut the inside of the mouth of a predator. Have you ever held one? Also, don't they get pretty big? (Just wondering, I don't really know for sure.)

First, are they an agricultural pest? Can the be imported legally? Are they commercially available in S. Africa?

Also, I think their populations are "threatened" in some areas, but again, just based on stuff I have seen a long time ago, no actual research that I've done :rolleyes:.

My first concern is that these caterpillars have hairs on them, right? I've never held one, but I wonder if they would be something that could irritate the chameleon. Often those hairs can get stuck in or cut the inside of the mouth of a predator. Have you ever held one? Also, don't they get pretty big? (Just wondering, I don't really know for sure.)
The hairs on these worms are soft and is not pokey at all. When humans eat these worms they do not take the hairs off. They are just ready to go. The hairs are certainly softer than the barbs on the legs of crickets! And a for the worms numbers being low in nature, not true! They are still a multi million rand buisiness over there! One would just need a few worms to get things going in the USA, and then bring in some new blood in every now and then to prevent the same health problems as what we have with silkworms today due to limiting the gene pool!

The hairs on these worms are soft and is not pokey at all. When humans eat these worms they do not take the hairs off. They are just ready to go. The hairs are certainly softer than the barbs on the legs of crickets! And a for the worms numbers being low in nature, not true! They are still a multi million rand buisiness over there! One would just need a few worms to get things going in the USA, and then bring in some new blood in every now and then to prevent the same health problems as what we have with silkworms today due to limiting the gene pool!

Do I have to do either cup feeding or free range? can I just feed my baby all hand fed?

Does anyone know if the South African worm, the mopani worm (Gonimbrasia belina) can be used as a feeder? They are edible to humans and I have seen many kinds of birds and other animals eating them when I lived in South Africa.

Having these available for chameleon owners could potentially revolutionize chameleon keeping! These worms eats a vast variety of foods and have plump juicy bodies. They also reproduce easily and in large numbers!

How about it forum members, let's make this happen and bring more variety to our lovely reptile children!

Do I have to do either cup feeding or free range? can I just feed my baby all hand fed?

Back
Top Bottom