Most EFFICIENT lighting for a battery of enclosures

kevin9

Im going to have a battery of 12 - 24"x24"x48" enclosures side by side. Im looking for the most efficient lighting and heating system.

It seems a double bulb 48"-like the zoo med reptisun 48" bulb- fixture will service 2 cages along with a 50 watt spotlight for heat for each cage. This set up would use 82 watts per cage.

I've looked a little into the T5 HOs but where do I get reasonable priced 46" T5 fixtures? Is this really that much better than the non T5s?

Any way to light and heat these cages more economically?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've looked a little into the T5 HOs but where do I get reasonable priced 46" T5 fixtures? Is this really that much better than the non T5s?

Any way to light and heat these cages more economically?

Thanks in advance!

I suggest www.lightyourreptiles.com

I've done a lot of different lights over the years, but the T5 HO's are impressive for lumens per watt.

For an idea how they compare regarding brightness check out my lighting thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/comparative-lighting-study-116604/

As far as saving money to heat, watts are going to be equal no matter what you use. Meaning if you need a 50 watt house bulb, you'd need the same watt halogen, or even LED to get the same amount of heat. But here's the rub on LEDs: You'd get more light out of the LED because it is more efficient at making light, but the heat does not radiate down much with those, it mostly goes into the heatsink. Not the best choice for basking.

So you won't save money on the electric bill because a watt is a watt when it comes to heat. So if you go with a more efficient florescent fixture (less watts but same or more light output), you may have to up the wattage of the basking bulb to compensate for cooler cage temps.

That being said, I've found I can go a bit lower on the wattage of my basking bulbs if I use a spotlight type basking bulb because it directs the heat downwards better then a house type bulb.

Until cold fusion is discovered, I'm afraid that there is no secret way to lower your electric bill while keeping your chams warm. A watt is a watt is a watt. Hope that makes sense.:)

Why buy pre made fixtures? Make your own and save some money. Light your reptiles has awesome pricing on high quality reflectors for T5's or T8's. Reflectors are key to any great light system. They also sell a great bulb or you can go with a Zoo Med T5. High quality ballasts will run very efficiently and are easy to wire up. Water proof end caps will keep any stray water away from the bulb ends.

Yes T5's are that much better! You get more light per watt.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom